24067Re: Facts about the establishment of Catholicate of east

  • Dr. Leena
    Oct 10, 2012
      Dear Mr. Mathew G.M.,

      I will try to explain your points.

      BELIEVERS ALWAYS COULD CONFESS DIRECTLY TO GOD. THE CONFESSION BEFORE THE PRIEST IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR CONFESSING DIRECTLY BEFORE GOD. IN THE HOLY BIBLE EPISTLE OF ST.JAMES 5:16 WE READ: "CONFESS YOUR SINS TO EACH OTHER AND PRAY FOR EACH OTHER SO THAT YOU MAY BE HEALED." SO IN OLDEN TIMES PEOPLE USED TO STAND INFRONT OF THE CONGREGATION AND CONFESS TO THE ENTIRE CONGREGATION. SINCE THE PRIEST REPRESENTS THE CONGREGATION; CONFESSION TO THE PRIEST IS A SUBSTITUTE FOR CONFESSING TO THE ENTIRE CONGREGATION. CONFESSING TO THE PRIEST IS A SUBSTITUTE
      FOR "CONFESSING TO EACH OTHER" IT IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR "CONFESSING TO GOD."
      Mathew 16: 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatsoever you bind (declare to be improper and unlawful) on earth must be what is already bound in heaven; and whatsoever you lose (declare lawful) on earth must be what is already loosed in heaven.
      According to the above verse, our Holy Church believes in the Holy Confession to priests. This is the authority given to St. Peter which is handed over to all the priests. The Priesthood, the ordination is important. Accordingly the priest is not representing the congregation, but the authority given to St. Peter which is handed over.
      ============================

      I DON'T THINK THE IOC EVER SAID THAT CONFESSING TO THE PRIEST IS NOT NEEDED EVER. I THINK THEIR POSITION WAS THAT A PERSON COULD RECEIVE ABSOLUTION "HOOSOYO" AND PARTAKE IN THE HOLY QURBANA. AND NOW THIS IS FOLLOWED IN THE JACOBITE SYRIAN CHURCH AS WELL.
      ======================================
      Their position was that Holy Confession to priest is not necessary or not needed. This was taught in seminary and this was reported to the then Patriarch H.H. Ignatius Yacob III. Holy Father sent Kalpana to Augen to correct it and he didn’t.

      ======================================
      B) THE CHURCH BELIEF THAT THE HOLY BAPTISM IS FOR THE RELIEF OF BIRTH SIN IS WRONG.
      --------------------------
      CAN YOU PLEASE ELABORATE WHAT IS BIRTH SIN ?

      BY BIRTH SIN; ARE YOU REFERRING TO THE GUILT OF 'ORIGINAL SIN' WHICH IS THE SIN THAT ADAM AND EVE COMMITTED IN EDEN? PLEASE CLARIFY. IF THAT IS THE CASE, WE DONOT INHERIT THE GUILT OF ORIGINAL SIN AND THE HOLY BAPTISM IS NOT FOR THE FORGIVENESS (RELIEF) OF THE SIN OF ADAM AND EVE. WE AS A GROUP DISCUSSED THAT IN GREAT DETAIL IN RESPONSE TO THE DISCUSSION INITIATED BY MR. THOMAS MANN.

      THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THE GUILT OF ORIGINAL SIN IS INHERITED IS A AUGUSTINIAN VIEW. WE SYRIAC ORTHODOX DOES NOT ACCEPT THIS VIEW OF ORIGINAL SIN.
      What I understood from "birth sin" or "original sin" is Adam and Eve had children when they were in sin (fallen). So as a consequence, we the children of Adam and Eve are born in that nature (fallen nature).
      James 1:15-Then the evil desire, when it has conceived, gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is fully matured, brings forth death.
      Genesis 2:17-But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and blessing and calamity you should not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
      Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good (suitable and pleasant)for food and that it was delightful to look at, and a tree to be desired in order to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate ;and she gave some also to her husband, and he ate.
      2 Samuel 11:4- And David sent messengers and took her. And she came in to him, and he lay with her- for she was purified from her uncleanness. Then she returned to her house.
      Job 15:35- They conceive mischief and bring forth iniquity, and their inmost soul hatches deceit.
      Psalm 7:14- Behold,(the wicked man) conceives iniquity and is pregnant with mischief and given birth to lies.
      Proverbs 11:19 He who is steadfast in righteousness (uprightness and right standing with God) attains to life, but he who pursues evil does it to his own death.
      Isaiah 33:11- You conceive chaff, you bring birth stubble; your breath is a fire that consumes you.
      Isaiah 59:4- None sues or calls in righteousness ;( but for the sake of doing injury to others- to take some undue advantage); no one goes to law honestly and pleads (his case)in truth; they trust in emptiness, worthlessness and futility, and speaking lies! They conceive mischief and bring forth evil.
      Matthew 5:28 -But I say to you that everyone who so much as looks at a woman with evil desire for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
      Romans 5:12- Therefore, as sin came into the world through one man, and death as a result of sin, so death spread to all men, ( no one being able to stop or to escape its power) because all men sinned--
      Romans 6:23- For the wages which sin pays is death, but the (bountiful) free gift of God is eternal life through (in union with) Jesus Christ our Lord.
      James 1:14- but every person is tempted when he is drawn away, enticed and baited by his own evil desire (lust, passions).
      James 1:18 â€" And it was of His own (free) will that He gave us birth (as sons) by(His) word of truth, so that we should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures (a sample of what He created to be consecrated to Himself).

      I read the ongoing discussion about Holy Baptism. I request our Priests or Bishops to give a proper explanation.

      C) LIMITING THE HOLY SACRAMENTS TO 7 IS WRONG.
      --------------------------
      I DIDNOT UNDERSTAND THIS STATEMENT. WE ALL LEARN THAT THE 7 SACRAMENTS ARE:
      1. BAPTISM
      2. CHRISMATION (MOORON)
      3. HOLY QURBANA (COMMUNION)
      4. HOLY CONFESSION
      5. HOLY MATRIMONY
      6. ORDINATION TO PRIESTHOOD
      7. ANNOINTING OF THE SICK WITH OIL. (UNCTION)

      SO IF THERE ARE MORE THAN 7 SACRAMENTS, WHAT IS THE 8TH, 9TH AND 10TH SACRAMENT.

      They did not tell 8th, 9th, or 10th. Their argument and teaching was that we cannot limit the Holy Sacraments to 7. In other words The Holy Church has no authority to limit the number of Holy Sacraments.

      Hope I could clear the points.

      With prayers,
      Leena
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic