23998Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Sep 28, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      “Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.”
      (Psalm 126:5)

      He sublimated painful childhood experiences into constructive ways – the grandiose masterpiece - “THE PIETA" (1499) by Michelangelo.

      No tear fall shed is for waste. Turning tears into joy is the work of God in association of the willing spirit of those who are in tears. By brooding and dying in our sorrowful and tearful childhood experiences, we are destroying and not allowing the light of our God-given constructive talents. This talent can be diverted into fruitful products of contribution for others. You and I may have plenty of painful childhood experiences but that should not hinder our growth and life. We should look at Jesus how he turned all his humiliations from birth (unwedded mother) to His death and burial (death on the cross as a criminal and buried in a borrowed tomb) into victory, and the defeat of His enemy, Satan by his resurrection, ascension, and his second coming for judgement to wipe away all the tears of humanity.

      Genuine art has the power to strengthen people’s spirits. Michelangelo’s heart obviously knew this truth. Having lost his mother at the age of five, (he mentioned that he used her memory as a model for the virgin’s face), the Florentine knew firsthand about a great loss and about coming to terms with it. He sublimated painful childhood experiences into constructive ways - into a grandiose masterpiece to leave us one of the finest art works the earth has seen. In ‘PIETA’, we see Mary in transition, tranquility taking over from sorrow, obvious inner serene countenance and the gentle gesture of her left arm: Let it go. Mary’s serene expression is supported by the massiveness of her enormous robe. Letting go of her grief, she appears like a mountain, her faith indomitable, still leaning sideways
      somewhat, rising from the recent weight of crushing events. He said he intended to depict a “religious vision of abandonment and serene face of the son.” Pieta was declared not only the best contemporary work but has even surpassed the sculptures of the ancient Greeks and Romans.

      Prayer: Jesus, let us divert all our painful experiences in life into constructive ways that will help us serve you better. Wipe away all our tears and bless us to be happy in this world. We pray for all the people who have bitter childhood memories like Michelangelo, to be consoled and be given the spirit to give meaningful services to their fellow beings. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Love
      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      Friday, 28th September 2012