23944Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Sep 18, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” (Romans 12:20)

      Forgiving and wrong doing should not be mixed: Graham Staines’ wife.

      We are relieved and in God's command when we forgive others. Jesus commands, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:21). The avenge is always at the realm of Jesus. “It is mine to avenge, I will repay,” says the Lord” (Romans 12:19). The burden and repercussions of sins always follow the doers of wrong even if they are free from eternal punishment. The true repentance, conversion and the joyful readiness to accept the punishment deserved in accordance with the sin is the only panacea for a guilt-free life on this earth. We should forgive and treat our enemies with kindness so that they will be ashamed and turn from their sins.

      The Staines family - Graham Staines and his two sons were burnt alive at Keonjhar in Odisha, India in 1999. Graham Staines had worked with leprosy patients in Orissa for 30 years. He was sleeping with his sons, aged 8 and 10 in a car on their way home on a cold January night when a mob in Manoharpur village poured petrol over their car and set fire to it. The Staines tried to escape, but a mob of about 50 people allegedly prevented them. By forgiving the killers, Staines told the medias that 'forgiveness and the consequences of our wrong doing should not be mixed up.' “Because of forgiveness, I hold no bitterness towards the persons who killed my family. Forgiveness brought healing which is needed everywhere from hatred and violence. But forgiveness does not change the consequences for wrong.” The end result was that not only the main culprit, Dara Singh was punished with life imprisonment by the Supreme Court, but also that the hard-core killer converted into Christianity - what the Staines family stands for in life.

      Prayer: Jesus, let us lead a life of forgiveness to all wrongs of others. Let us have the spirit of forgiveness. May you avenge the wrongs of others in thy justice. Let knowledge of the consequences of sins, and justice and mercy of our loving Jesus stop the people from committing sins. Let all the culprits have a change of heart. A world free from sins is what we pray and hope for. We pray and stand in solidarity with and for the Staines family. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Love
      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      Wedensday, 19th September 2012