23543Our Daily Bread-Firewrks and Freedom

    Jul 4, 2012
      READ: Galatians 5:1-14

      For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as
      an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
      —Galatians 5:13

      Thanks to the ingenuity of our Chinese friends, we here in the US celebrate
      our independence this month with massive displays of colorful fireworks.
      Every year when we sing our national anthem and enjoy the vibrant patterns
      created by “bombs bursting in air,” I remind myself that most bombs are
      deadly, not beautiful like the fireworks display. Although both use
      similar ingredients, one is intended to kill; the other to entertain. In this metaphor we see an example of how something can be used for both
      good and evil. In the hands of capable, careful, and caring people,
      something dangerous becomes glorious. But the opposite is also true.
      Freedom—the very thing we celebrate with fireworks—can also be used for good and
      evil. As believers in Christ, we are free from the restrictive Mosaic
      law, but the Bible warns us not to use our spiritual freedom for selfish purposes: “Do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but
      through love serve one another” (Gal. 5:13).
      Not everyone has political and religious freedom, but all believers in
      Christ have spiritual freedom. We must not use it as a weapon to impose
      our will on others but to display the glory of God’s will. —Julie
      Ackerman Link
      Free from the law—O happy condition!
      Jesus hath bled, and there is remission;
      Cursed by the law and bruised by the fall,
      Grace hath redeemed us once for all. —Bliss
      Freedom doesn’t give us the right to do what we please, but to do what pleases God.