23468The Christian Father

  • Shibu Luke Podiyan
    Jun 18, 2012
      The Christian Father

      God is our Father: The scripture speaks of God as the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ. Rom.15:6, 2 Cor. 1:3. He is also our Father because we are adopted as sons in the Son. The divine fatherhood helps us understand the human fatherhood, and vice versa. The spiritual truths about fatherhood, both divine and human, are known by revelation from God only. See how Jesus spoke of the heavenly Father in Matt. 5:16,45,48, 6:1,4,6,8,9,15,18,26,32, 7:11.

      The father's compassion: Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him,� Ps. 103:13. This defines a father's heart (as corresponding to God's) in the deepest sense: Compassion, that is, forgiving love. Our heavenly Father loves us with forgiving love. The foremost fatherly virtue of a Christian father therefore is forgiving love. Forgiving not only to some extent or to a great extent, but all the way, even as God forgave us in His Son. Such a virtue is not ours except it be imparted to us by grace. Let us as fathers seek the face of God for this supreme virtue that should adorn every Christian father. See Paul's words about our heavenly Father, 2 Cor. 1:3-4: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.�

      A picture of such forgiving love is offered to us in the father of the prodigal son. The father's heart melted (felt compassion,� Luke 15:20) at the sight of the son who had ruined himself and the father's wealth. Not a thought of condemnation, but only compassion! Of course the returning son was a repenting son. But before the son expressed his repentance in words, he was in his father's embrace.

      The father's correction: For whom the Lord loves He corrects, even as a Father corrects the son in whom he delights, Prov. 3:12. This also defines a father's heart (as corresponding to God's): correction that is joined to love. God's Spirit is poured out on, and God's Word is made known to, those who accept the Lord's correction, Prov. 1:23. We may see therefore that we as Christian fathers need to receive the Lord's correction ourselves, and have God's Spirit and God's Word, to be able to correct our children in love. We need great grace from God to correct as God would.

      The father's ministry in the house hold: Scripture says: "Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger - do not exasperate them to resentment - but rear them (tenderly) in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord," Eph. 6:4, the Amplified Bible. Fathers often are likely to get angry and provoke their children to anger. Paul knew this, and so he gives counsel. Let us take heed.

      The Father's Blessings: Isaac's children desired their father's blessings in his old age, Gen. 27.Jacob blessed his children before he died, Gen. 49. Isaac's blessings and Jacob's blessings were prophetic. May we as fathers be prayerful all our life so that we may leave a legacy of blessing for our children as Isaac and Jacob did. Sons and daughters may desire and appreciate their parents blessings. Sons and daughters are promised long life and blessings if they honor their parents, Ex. 20:12: Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you. Fathers, may our children see our relationship to our heavenly Father so we may deserve their respect. Moses blessed Israel before his death, Deut. 33:1-29 (a whole chapter of blessings): Now this is the blessing with which Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.� May the Lord help us to bless all
      whom God has given us to serve in the church.

      Thankful for your prayers,
      Shibu Luke Podiyan
      Washington D.C
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic