22909During the Passion Week it would be worth remembering our Apostles' end

  • George Vergese
    Apr 3 11:20 AM
      Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

      The apostles of our Lord and how they met their end

      Warm regards

      George Vergese
      Chennai
      4890

      DO YOU KNOW HOW THE APOSTLES DIED?

      1 Matthew
      Suffered martyrdom in Ethiopia , killed by a sword wound
      2 Mark
      Died in Alexandria , Egypt , after being dragged by horses through the streets until he was dead.
      3 Luke
      Was hanged in Greece as a result of his tremendous preaching to the lost.
      4 John
      Faced martyrdom when he was boiled in huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome . However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos . He wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation on Patmos . The apostle John was later freed and returned to serve as Bishop of Edessa in modern Turkey . He died as an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully.
      5 Peter
      He was crucified upside down on an x-shaped cross. According to church tradition it was because he told his tormentors that he
      felt unworthy to die in the same way that Jesus Christ had died.
      6 James
      Just The leader of the church in Jerusalem, was thrown over a hundred feet down from the southeast pinnacle of the Temple
      when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a fuller's club.
      * This was the same pinnacle where Satan had taken Jesus during the Temptation.
      7 James the Great
      Son of Zebedee, was a fisherman by trade when Jesus called him to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader
      of the church, James was ultimately beheaded at Jerusalem . The Roman officer who guarded James watched amazed as James defended his faith at his trial. Later, the officer walked beside James to the place of execution. Overcome by conviction, he declared his new faith to the judge and knelt beside James to accept beheading as a Christian
      8 Bartholomew
      Also known as Nathaniel Was a missionary to Asia . He witnessed for our Lord in present day Turkey . Bartholomew was martyred for his preaching in Armenia where he was flayed to death by a whip.
      9 Andrew
      Was crucified on an x-shaped cross in Patras , Greece . After being whipped severely by seven soldiers they tied his body to
      the cross with cords to prolong his agony. His followers reported that, when he was led toward the cross, Andrew saluted it in these
      words: 'I have long desired and expected this happy hour. The cross has been consecrated by the body of Christ hanging on it.' He continued to preach to his tormentors for two days until he expired.
      10 Thomas
      Was stabbed with a spear in India during one of his missionary trips to establish the church in the sub-continent
      11 Jude
      Was killed with arrows when he refused to deny his faith in Christ.
      12 Matthias
      The apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot, was stoned and then beheaded.
      13 Paul
      Was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment, which
      allowed him to write his many epistles to the churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire . These letters, which taught many
      of the foundational doctrines of Christianity, form a large portion of the New Testament.
      Perhaps this is a reminder to us that our sufferings here are indeed minor compared to the intense persecution and cold cruelty faced by the apostles disciples during their times for the sake of the Faith. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake:
      But he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
      Matthew 10:22
      From the desk of moderators
      The pictures of the apostles on this posting are removed as it wont appear in the daily Digest.