21054Peshitta Bible : Matthew 27:46

  • Mathew G M
    Jul 6, 2011
      I have couple of questions about the Peshitta Bible. I don't know Syriac, and hence have to go by translations available. The translations that I am relying on are:
      1) Lamsa translation
      2) Murdock translation
      3) Vishudha Grandham (Fr. Kaniamparambil)

      My question is with respect to Gospel of St. Matthew 27:46. This verse refers to the words that our Lord Jesus Christ, cried out from the cross.

      Murdock translation of Peshitta (refer to (XXVII : 46 in the link below) says:
      http://www.aramaicpeshitta.com/AramaicNTtools/Murdock/murdock_matthew.htm

      "O God, O God; why hast thou forsaken me ?"

      This is the same as what you find in NIV, KJV etc: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2027:46&version=NKJV

      However when you check Lamsa translation, you find
      http://www.lamsabible.com/Lamsa/1_Matthew/Matthew27.htm

      "Jesus cried out with a loud voice and said, Eli, Eli lmana shabachthani! which means, My God, my God, for this I was kept!"

      In Vishudha Grandham, Kaniyamparambil Achen only gives "Eel Eel Lmono Shabakthon" and does not provide a Malayalam translation.

      So my question to the learned Priests, Bishops and Syriac Scholars is this:
      Did our Lord Jesus Christ say:
      "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me" or did He say
      "My God, My God, for this I was kept."

      The first one, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me" is consistent with the Greek text and is the beginning of Psalm 22.
      http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%2022&version=NKJV

      It would make sense for our Lord to teach us he is the Messiah even from the cross by referring to Psalm 22 and it is full of prophesies about our Lord; Psalm 22:18 specifically says: "They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots."

      At the same time the second one "My God, My God, for this I was kept." also makes perfect sense, and the whole point of the incarnation was the curcifixtion. So that was why He was kept.

      So which one is the correct Peshitta translation?

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M
      0929

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Michael Poe wrote:

      > Dear brothers and sisters in Yashua Mshiho,Berek Alaha!
      >
      > The Peshitta,which is the original Aramaic Gospels and New Testament ......... There are several good translations in English. The Holy Bible From the Ancient Eastern Text-George Lamsa's translation from the Aramaic of the Peshitta is very good. ..........
      > In Yashua Mshiho,
      > Michael.
      > 4172
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic