20647Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    May 4, 2011
      READ: James 4:7-10 Appended

      Submit to God. —James 4:7

      In the annals of US advertising history, one of the most efficient slogans
      ever is the California milk producers’ two-word question, “Got milk?” With that
      phrase, the group captured almost everyone’s attention. In surveys, the slogan
      was recognized by more than 90 percent of the people polled.
      If “Got milk?” is so good at reminding people to drink “cow juice,” perhaps we
      can create some two-word slogans to remind ourselves to live more godly lives.
      Let’s turn to James 4 and try it. This passage gives four specific guidelines.

      1. Give in! Verse 7 tells us to submit to God. Our sovereign God loves us, so
      why not let Him run the show? Submission helps us resist the devil. 2. Get
      close! Verse 8 reminds us of the value of drawing near to God. It’s up to us to
      close the gap between us and God. 3. Clean up! Verse 8 also reminds us to make
      sure our hearts are clean. That happens through confessing our sins to God. 4.
      Get down! James says we need to be humble before God (v.10). That includes
      viewing our sin as something to weep over.

      Give in! Get close! Clean up! Get down! These pairs of words may not look as
      good on a T-shirt as “Got milk?” But they sure will look good on us. —Dave
      Branon

      Lord, help me live a godly life
      Of faith and love and purity
      So those who watch my life will see
      Reflections of Your work in me. —Sper

      The most powerful testimony is a godly life.
      James 4:7-10
      7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
      8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners,
      and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your
      laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the
      Lord, and he will lift you up
    • Show all 153 messages in this topic