20602Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Apr 25, 2011
      READ: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11 Appended

      I am the resurrection and the life. —John 11:25

      Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life”! It’s one thing to make such
      a bold assertion; it’s another to back it up—and back it up Jesus did by rising
      from the dead.

      “If you believe that the Son of God died and rose again,” writes George
      MacDonald, “your whole future is full of the dawn of eternal morning, coming up
      beyond the hills of life, and full of such hope as the highest imagination for
      the poet has not a glimmer yet.”

      The Son of God died and rose again, and His resurrection is the guarantee that
      God will bring us up and out of the ground: A thinking, feeling, remembering,
      recognizable person will live forever.
      Living forever means living out the thought of eternity that God has placed in
      our hearts; meeting again one’s believing loved ones lost through separating
      death; living in a world without sorrow; seeing our Lord who loves us and gave
      everything to unite us to Him forever.

      But I see another meaning. Since we have this life and the next, we don’t have
      to “have it all” now. We can live in broken and ruined bodies for a time; we
      can endure poverty and hardship for a while; we can face loneliness, heartache,
      and pain for a season. Why? There is a second birth—life in heaven forever.
      —David Roper

      Yes, Christ the Lord is risen,
      Has come forth from the grave;
      He breaks the chains of death for you
      And now has power to save. —Woodruff

      The resurrection is the foundation of our faith.
      1 Corinthians 15:1-11

      The Resurrection of Christ 1 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of
      the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken
      your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I
      preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

      3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ
      died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was
      raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to
      Cephas,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five
      hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still
      living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to
      all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally
      born.

      9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an
      apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am
      what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than
      all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then,
      it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

      Footnotes:
      1. 1 Corinthians 15:3 Or you at the first
      2. 1 Corinthians 15:5 That is, Peter
    • Show all 153 messages in this topic