18408Re: Retrieving lost sheeps

  • Sajy Jacob
    Aug 27, 2010
      Below given is a communication between me and another person who joined Pentacostal group from Jacobite. This communication may be worth to publish in this forum

      Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu

      OK Sajy....

      I was taught the version you say...in Sunday school...in Jacobite churches....the things to built unfailing loyality to the sabha....just like in the madrasas.......only I realized my real hero....Jesus Christ & his sound teachings for mankind......was put by them .....on the back burner......i realized this in class 7 at Sunday school & opted to drop out.....much to the agony of everyone around.... something told me it was all terribly wrong....

      yes..... u might stick with the koonan kruz satyam that is taught....but can u explain why the syrian christians never took to the biblical content of leading the non believers to Christ....their then reaction may be one based on traditions of their ancestors....justified to some extent......in the absence of the bible & sound doctrine...Sbut today with hindsight contained in the bible.....can u say what st Francis savior did to convert the masses of fishermen along the Kerala Konkan coasts was wrong......only the Syrian Christians were interested in their social status as derived from the Hindu caste systems....

      this is not scriptural....in hindsight when i see the schism in Syrian christian churches during the Portuguese times.....i can see that Syrian Christians were in much error....the bible is the word of god....for the christian faith....& not traditions borrowed from Jews or priesthoods from Aaronian & Levitus priesthoods...(read Hebrews 8 - this form of priesthood was abandoned by the new covenant) nor teachings borrowed from other idolatry religions & cults.....for personal gains, comforts & social status....

      as for history.... you seem to me....to be saying the history that is taught in Jacobite / orthodox christian churches....check out again....whether the Syrian Christians had a bible with the masses....i believe it became popular with the coming of the English reformists....& may have been introduced for the first time by the Portuguese....

      as far as Orthodox priests, bishops & others go....their spiritual leadership is there for all to see....rather than resolving issues between brothers by the spirit & word of god....they are more hungry to gain property & power....it is ugly even to the point that the dead are not buried in respect....without police escorts....their church processions are marked & made to go in opposing directions ....& their victory is in who drank most....& their satisfaction in who spit the most vulgar words to the other camp....all this when their is no real difference in their liturgies, beliefs, lineage or traditions.....

      a Balakrishnan or a Madhusoodan knows that the warring brothers should come to peace & terms with each other & he mediates for them....but the children of Christ does not know that....what have you to say....admitantly....they bring a gr8 name to the Lord....as ambassadors of Christ....don't they??? with newspapers & media having a field day reporting all the happenings ..... for the world to see.....& appreciate the chair & lineage of the apostles....

      i believe that in the sight of god....all men are equal to start with....well their are shepherds to lead the sheep.....in the right doctrine.....but apart from that..... claims of lineage to apostolic chairs etc are man made....the apostles will be judged....much alike the common man...& so will all the elect & the bishops & the priests.....matter of fact they may have much more to answer for......coz much was put under their trust....we shuld pray for them....rather than the dead.....

      for us....the least wud be to discern between the good & the bad....by the spirit & the word that the the lord provides us with....search out the truth....

      I cud go into more areas....but that wud only put you in a more hurting position....

      just a reality check....is attending the qurbana getting you any nearer to God....or is it just a matter of habit & rituals.....a chanting of mandras & slogans (maybe in foreign languages).....for the comfort.... man seeks in habits & religiousity....is it making you a better human being.....are you in touch with your spiritual sides....& is your life getting transformed in the process......

      since you are asking some right questions....i think....the lord is nor far.....he will reveal the truth to you....sooner or later....that is the encouragement....the silver lining....so take heart

      God bless all brothers

      Dear Joji

      Thank you for your response. I am not at all hurt as you guessed rather appreciate for sharing your stand.

      You have mixed many things together in your message.

      1. History

      2. Spirituality/ theology

      3. Church fight over property

      4. Episcopacy

      Let me attend them one by one:

      History: I pointed the error in your message not because I am member of one church or the other rather irrespective of our denomination history remains as history. Though Christianity reached India in AD 52 we really don't have many historical documents with us to describe about the christian life of that time. However, many historians already proved about the presence of 1st century Christianity in India. That means Christianity reached India even before it reached American and Europian Countries. Contrary to this many people in India as well as western countries believe that it was westerners who brought Christianity in India. Similar is the case of Syrian Christians today ( I am talkig about Christians in Syria not Syrian Christians in India). Today everyone around the world knows about Islamism in Middle East countries. But majority of them doesn't know about the indigenous christian presence there. If someone asked about religion in Iraq, syria, Lebanon, etc usually everyone will reply with Islam as Islam is the only known religion to the outside world. So, just as similar to Islam got opportunity to dominate middle east Christianity due to various political, economical and demographical reasons western countries got opportunity to dominate India and people believe it was westerners who brought Christianity in India. Once an American asked me whether my parents also belong to christian religion when I told him that I am a christian. His impressions was that all Christians in India are recently converted. For your clarification, along with Vasco da gama Jesuits reached India & with CMS missionaries Protestantism reached India.

      As majority of people in India are Hindus, people who accepted Christianity also were from Hindu families mainly upper cast Hindus called Brahmins/ Namboodiris. And the local king always accepted them with high reverence. As the cast discrimination was existing among Hindus that time, obviously those uppercast Hindus who accepted Christianity were reluctant to accept lower cast people. Though foreign missionaries who reached India has created many troubles for local Christians, they have contributed positively also in some areas, like , removing cast discrimination, providing education, etc. Local people were not much educated that time and they used to worship in Syriac Language. (You can find influence of Syriac in local language Malayalam also.) After the arrival of missionaries, they have translated bible with participation of various local personalities like Kayamkulam Philipose Ramban.

      Today we don't have much historical documents available about Christianity in India before 14th century. After the arrival of Portuguese it was a period of torturing for the local Christians as local Christians were worshiping in Syriac and Portuguese wanted to implement Latin faith. They destroyed all available documents to rewrite the local Christiana's history (that time Christians in Kerala was known as Nasranis; Nasranis means those who follow Jesus of Nasreth).

      Anyway, in short, I would say though missionaries created many troubles for local Christians they also had contributed positively in certain other area. You can compare that life as similar to British India. British created many troubles for Indians in British India. But sametime they have contributed positively in some other areas like Indian railway, etc.

      2. Spirituality/ theology: In their worship local Christians accepted some local practice which is not known to missionaries. Local Christian leaders never discouraged this practice as they were not against the basic faith though one can't find a biblical reference for it. One such local tradition is minnu kettu (tying a thread with a small locket across the neck of the bride by bridegroom during marriage). They used to worship in Syriac as prayers were not translated into local language. In some parts of Kerala there was some influence of idol worship due to their Hindu heritage. Thus missionaries who reached Kerala termed entire local Christians as idol worshipers and started reformation. Those who accepted reformation changed faith. Those who were keen on original faith withstood it.

      If there is any christian group in Kerala who says they are Aronian or Levitus priest I would say they are wrong. Our priesthood is the continuation of priesthood of Jesus. However, new testament era is not complete without old testament era and vice versa. That means we can't separate one from the other. You can see many things which happened in New Testament era was already mentioned in Psalms and Isaiah. You can see in old testament how Araon was getting ordained by Moses. Similarly you can see how Apostles were laying hands on others before sending them for their work. In old testament priests used to sacrifice animals to please God. In New testament Jesus sacrificed himself and established Holy Qurbana to please God. None of these are not merely coincident but one incident can't stand without the other.

      3. Church fight over property

      As similar to you I am also sad about fights between various christian groups. This kind of problem is there in every christian group today across the world. The only difference is that some are fighting inside the room others are fighting on the street. However, that is not an excuse to abandon right faith. Those who are fighting or doing injustice will be answerable but not others.

      4. Episcopacy

      In first century, people accepted Apostles as the leaders of Christians. We can also find in bible that our Apostles were blessed with many spiritual gifts. They were called to their mission by our Lord while they were busy in their work like fishing. similarly becoming a priest is also a call. Everyone could not become a priest. And even if there are someone as priest who are not called for that job, they won't be able to perform their duty. Sometimes though they are called they don't perform their duty due to evil influence. That is why we see some bad news about some priests in newspaper and other media. So it is not the problem with the faith but it is the problem with individual. If someone assumed a wrong job for which they were not called they will come in news for wrong reason. I hope you are understanding.

      Judgment is there for everyone. Apostles, bishops, priests and laymen have to undergo judgment day. Everyone will be answerable for their own action but not for others action. Why are you worried over that? You and I will be safe if we are doing our job properly for which we are called.

      just a reality check....is attending the qurbana getting you any nearer to God....or is it just a matter of habit & rituals.....a chanting of mandras & slogans (maybe in foreign languages).....for the comfort.... man seeks in habits & religiousity....is it making you a better human being.....are you in touch with your spiritual sides....& is your life getting transformed in the process......

      The thing is that how you are attending Qurbana. Basically there are two kinds for attending Qurbana. 1. watching 2. participating

      Watching Qurbana means you are watching it like a movie which is not going to help you. Participating means you are becoming part of it. If you are becoming part of it you will understand the difference. You will be able to experience it. You listen to it carefully and understand its meaning. Today we have options in many language not like our ancestors who had very limited options like Syriac. If you ever got opportunity to listen to it, please analyse its meaning. Then you will understand many of our self made personal prayers are blunders. I gave you couple of examples in my one of the earlier messages about how people are praying with demands and comparisons.

      Finally Joji, you should at least be proud of christian presence instead of ridiculing 1-15th century Christians. First of all we don't have proper historical information as they are already destroyed. Secondly, they whole heartily welcomed missionaries though it created many problems for them at a later stage.

      in love

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic