15327Re: St. Jame's Photo

  • Mathew G M
    Jun 7, 2009
      Dear Manoj,
      There are three St. James in the early churh. You can look up their feast dates at http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar/2009.html . In the calendar instead of 'St. James' the syriac form of the name Mor Ya`qub is used.

      The three St. James are:

      1) St. James the son of Zebedee. (St James the Greater). He is one of the 12 apostles of our Lord and is also the brother of St. John the Apostle and Evangelist who is the author of the Gospel according to John. This St. James was one of the three apostles that Jesus selected to see him in his full glory during the feast of the transfiguration on top of the mount. (The Feast date of St James the son of Zebedee is May 1)

      2) St. James the son of Alphaeus. (St James the Lesser). He is also one of the 12 apostles. (Feast date: Oct 23)

      3) St. James the brother of our Lord. (St James the Just). He was NOT one of the 12 apostles. He was the first Bishop of Jerusalem, and is the author the Taksha (Liturgy of St. James), He is also the author of the Epistle of James in the new testemant. (Feast date June 19).

      In the Roman Catholic Church, they think #2 and #3 which is St. James the son of Alphaeus and St. James the brother of our Lord are the same. They don't think these were infact two seperate men. They celeberate his feast on May 3rd.

      However in the Syriac Orthodox Church, we are taught that these are three seperate people and there is a seperate feast day for each of them May 1, Oct 23 and June 19 respectively.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M
      0929

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Manoj wrote:

      > Dear Rev. Deacon,
      >
      > I am fully agreeing your last statement with its all aspects. But that will not satisfy my question's answer or requirement. As you are aware there are two St. James in which we are celebrating the Orma¬Ě in May 3rd and June 19th . The first date I mentioned is of St. James, who is the brother of Jesus Christ and the second for the urshlemintey onnamathey pradhanaachaaryan, sleeha, sahadha etc as per the Thubdean. In addition to that the same Slieeha who written the Thakzaa and celebrated the Holy Eucharist too as per my limited knowledge.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic