14647Evagrius

  • Mark Sedrak
    Feb 3, 2009
      Do not pray for the fulfillment of your wishes, for that may not be in accord with the will of God. But pray as you have been taught, saying: Thy will be done in me (Luke 22:42). Always entreat Him in this way, that His will be done. For He desires what is good and profitable for you, whereas you do not always ask for this.

      Often when I have prayed I have asked for what I thought was good, and persisted in my petition, stupidly importuning the will of God, and not leaving it to Him to arrange things as He knows is best for me. But when I have obtained what I have asked for, I have been very sorry that I did not ask for the will of God to be done, because the thing turned out not to be as I thought.

      Evagrius � On Prayer
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2940613

      Taken from: Through the Year with the Church Fathers
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3124672
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic