Sunday Morning In Rego Park 12/7

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2008
      The Sunday morning SMART Recovery group in Rego Park was attended by 12
      persons, including 2 persons new to SMART Recovery meetings.

      After check in, we had a participant read an exercise, then we
      conducted an ABC with the urge to use being the activating event.

      Michael.
    • IKNEADU007@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2008
        You are going to need your own auditorium soon ..........it seems you get newbies every single week ............all your hard work continues to pay off ........good for you Mike !!!

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
          Debbie:

          Now all I need to do is find a way to breathe some life into this
          space, you know, get participants from around the area to get active.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
            hey you have a few good candidates there ...............have you approached anyone ?

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
              I meant this listserve Debbie. It's become just me posting meeting
              status, whereas I had planned for it to be a way for all of us
              NYC/LI/Westchester/NJ SMART folks to create a sense of community, to
              connect so to speak.

              The group is evolving. We have approximately 10 regulars. I'm going
              to try to outreach it up to 20 regulars by the end of 2009. If I
              attain that, the next step will come about on it's own.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
                Oh I got you Mike ........I know there were a few people posting awhile back ........that's a shame ........you have put so much effort into SMART in general ......it seems to be the same on SOL MB .........not too much team efforts .......just a few always posting and responding to the questions asked of us and doing surveys etc ...but boy do people come out of the woodwork when there is a controversy !!!   ..that is one of the reasons I stepped down also.........if this is happening in F2F too its really no way to try to build SMART in my opinion ......SMART is not going to build itself for sure .....you know the old saying "it takes a village"

                If you say you will get your numbers to 20 by 2009 I BELIEVE YOU !!

                DEB

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 10, 2008
                  I can't guarantee I'll be averaging 20 in a year, but I'll certainly
                  try!

                  Part of the problem is convincing folks that they CAN do more.
                  Sometimes they are intimidated to try. How long did it take you to
                  CONSIDER doing so? In Manhattan, they are trying the "discussion"
                  format as a stepping stone to facilitation. What I'm seeing is that
                  lack of volunteers is as big a factor holding us back as lack of
                  referrals these days.

                  Mike