Re: [SLOpagans] Digest Number 52

  • Pan Arcana
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
      Exciting to hear there's a CUUPS chapter forming - who do we contact to participate? We participated with the UU Church in our old city, were on the Interfaith Council, and were asked to do rituals at the UU and Interfaith get-togethers.

      We also used to run monthly coffee nights (meetups) like you're talking about and study groups twice a month. Twice a year (at Beltaine and Mabon) we coordinated some more adult celebrations and had great folk like Don Michael Kraig, Anne and Dave Finnin and Ed Fitch in attendance teaching workshops. We did a lot of Hellenic reconstructionist rituals, Dionysias, Atheneas, modern interpretations of celtic rites, Egyptian underworld journeys, etc. We were very eclectic and learned from everyone. And we were in a hugely conservative area there too. So maybe we can bring some light to add to your flame. We look forward to meeting you!

      PATH is a group, Pagan Alliance Through Harmony, centered in Santa Maria around the Silver Gypsy shop. They recently had a GREAT article that ran in the Santa Maria Sun, and are a mature, educated, grounded, smart and capable group - some with coven experience, some with real-world great ritual skills. They organize community picnics, coffee meets in SM, and sabbats. They even had a booth at the Farmer's Market (can you believe that?)

      So when's the next meet of the members here? We're excited to help out however we can. Oh, and we're in Arroyo Grande.

      Peace and Light.

      SLOpagans@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/6cWolB/TM

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Blessings all...
      From: Daniel

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:17:53 -0800 (PST)
      From: Daniel
      Subject: Re: Blessings all...

      I welcome you and yours to our little group. We
      hope you will find this group to your liking and will
      enjoy your time with us.

      There isn't a whole lot happening in the SLO
      county pagan community that I'm aware of, but we're
      trying to change that. For a while we had monthly
      meetups and if folks are interested in that we can
      always start doing that again. There is a group of
      CUUPS (Unitarian Pagans) starting in SLO county, but
      timeline is still up in the air.

      I'm not familiar with PATH. What sort of group
      are they?

      Again, welcome.

      BB

      Daniel

      --- panarcana wrote:

      > I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce
      > ourselves - we're a
      > recently transplanted pagan family, married 13 years
      > with a 9 year old
      > daughter, from the Los Angeles area. We built,
      > mobilized and educated
      > a tremendous community there, and have found PATH
      > and other
      > outstanding pagans in this area. We're hoping to get
      > involved in
      > meetings, rituals, community events, celebrations
      > and other outings.
      > We're excited to have found you, and look forward to
      > helping out the
      > community in whatever way we can.
      >
      > Blessings all...

      > --------------------~-->
      > Yahoo! your home page

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/6cWolB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Yahoo! Personals

    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2005
               The plans for a CUUPS chapter here are still in the early stages, but a few of the folks who attend the San Luis Obispo Unitarian church are interested (I attend the church sometimes and probably would more often if there was a CUUPS chapter).  I don't know your plans on any given Sunday, but if you wish to attend the Unitarian church in SLO sometime you'd be able to talk to the people organizing the CUUPS chapter face to face.  If you do decide to attend and you let me know in advance I'll be sure to be there to greet you if you wish.  If you don't wish to attend the services or can't for whatever reason that's fine too.  There are 2 members of SLOpagans who have expressed interest in CUUPS, myself and my friend who attends the UU church every week, so we can keep interested folks updated through this group as well.  (I welcome Trish to say anything she wishes to about the CUUPS at this point because she is more up to date as to who is interested.)  I will be happy to do anything that is needed to help the CUUPS group get started and get going.  I have read the CUUPS website thoroughly and I am really excited about this group starting.

              Thanks for telling me about PATH.  I understand why I've never heard of them now.  I live way up in Atascadero which is in northern San Luis Obispo county (just north of San Luis Obispo itself) and have never gotten down to Santa Maria.  I have heard of the Silver Gypsy and have always wanted to visit the store, but just never get down to Santa Maria.

              As far as the next meetup;  I would like to have one after finals.  My final is on the 12 of this month (about a week from now) so anytime after that and before Christmas (family is Christian and expects me for Christmas up in Sacramento) is great.   Otherwise anytime after Christmas works also.  I have been mostly leaving it up to the members of this group to tell me when they can meet and then we set a meetup time.  I'm hoping that after a few meetups we can set a regular time, day and place.   In the past our meetups have been held at the cafe in Border's Books in San Luis Obispo because that has been what has worked best for the members.   I'm up for meeting just about anywhere in SLO county.  I would prefer north county, but since most everyone seems to be in the south county SLO city works well enough.

               I really like the idea of group celebrations twice a year.  My coven has open circles once in a great while, but perhaps it would be better if we organized something as a group (SLOpagans) that fits in with everyones beliefs and traditions rather than just my coven's way of doing things.

                I am excited to have you and yours as new members of this group.  You sound really interested in getting things moving with the SLO pagan community (and we do welcome members from Santa Barbara county and other surrounding counties, including the valley, though our meetups will likely usually be in SLO county.)   Let me know if you have any more ideas you wish to share to make SLOpagans the best group we can be and let me know what the best days and times of day are for you (and anyone you bring with you) for a meetup/coffee-chat.

        BB

        Daniel

        Group Owner SLOpagans

        From: Daniel

        Message: 1
        Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:17:53 -0800 (PST)
        From: Daniel

        --- panarcana wrote:

        > I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce
        > ourselves - we're a
        > recently transplanted pagan family, married 13 years
        > with a 9 year old
        > daughter, from the Los Angeles area. We built,
        > mobilized and educated
        > a tremendous community there, and have found PATH
        > and other
        > outstanding pagans in this area. We're hoping to get
        > involved in
        > meetings, rituals, community events, celebrations
        > and other outings.
        > We're excited to have found you, and look forward to
        > helping out the
        > community in whatever way we can.
        >
        > Blessings all...

        > --------------------~-->
        > Yahoo! your home page

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/6cWolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Personals

      • Patricia
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2005
          I haven't moved on getting CUUPS up and running yet. and I apologize. I have been trying to get own life organized :o) I will keep all interested up to date with any developments
          Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
        • Daniel
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2005
                 Not a problem at all.  Just keep us informed.  You know I appreciate you.  Hopefully Joe and I will be at the UU services tomorrow, but we don't know yet.

            BB

            Daniel