Question; Karma, Dharma

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2005
      I feel it is important to see how others view
      things and thus I have some questions that I would
      like to propose to the groups to which I sent this
      e-mail.

      I mean no disrespect to anyones beliefs and by no
      means am I attempting to tell anyone how they should
      or should not believe. I simply enjoy hearing other
      perspectives because I feel it helps us to understand
      our own perspectives better. Further, it is my hope
      that by thinking out our answers to these questions
      some of us may understand our own beliefs better
      solely through that self-searching for our responses.

      I am a pagan and I believe in the concept of
      reincarnation and Karma in as much as it effects
      reincarnation. I do not believe in the law of three,
      but I respect those who do. Whether you believe in
      the wiccan "law of Karma" (also called the "law of
      three" or "threefold return law") or the modern Hindu
      view of Karma or some other form of Karmic belief
      these questions are for you.

      As I believe in not asking any question about
      another's viewpoints which I am unwilling to answer
      for myself, I will attempt to formulate my answers to
      these questions as well and put them in another post.

      1. What do you believe about Karma? How do you think
      Karma affects your life and your future lives?

      2. Do you believe in what is often called (however
      correctly or incorrectly as the word seems to have
      many definitions) dharma? In this case by dharma I
      mean the belief that because of your past lives and
      the karma which you have earned you are born into a
      specific "caste" or level and that your job and/or
      lifestyle (level of wealth, etc) should never be
      changed from that with which you were born because you
      were born into it in order to work off the negative
      karma from previous existances. If you don't believe
      that everyone is destined for a specific job, do you
      believe that we are destined for a specific lifestyle?
      Is it okay for a person who is born poor to strive
      for wealth and try to change their "caste"? (I use
      the term Caste because it is through the caste system
      that these beliefs developed and it's the best term I
      could think of for it, but I recognize that the caste
      system was outlawed in India.)

      I look forward to your responses.

      BB

      Daniel

      P.S. And no, by Dharma I don't mean the woman who
      married Greg, but that certainly was a fun T.V. series
      imho.