Re: johnson

  • LJoh734607@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
      Hi Jim:
      In the book Slovak Pride I wonder if any of the following names were mentioned
      Bina, Kinzel,Friedl, Tiunka, and Urban.
      Any help you can give me will be appreciated
      thanks Les Johnson
    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
        An Index from Slovak Pride is available at
        http://www.iarelative.com/slovakpride/

        There are also instructions for contacting others researching the surname,
        adding your surnames, and ordering the complete book.

        Greg Kopchak

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
          I notice on the linked site that there is a town called Koterbachy, meaning
          Copper Creek. At the point where the records for my family name don't go
          back any further (1640 or so), they were living in the villages of Ruzbachy.
          Would Rich Custer or anybody speculate on the etymology of "Ruzbachy"? The
          church records are RC, not Greek Catholic, so I assume Ruz- is not the same
          as Rus- .

          I have distant relatives named Rusbasan, but again I don't know what to make
          of it.

          Jim

        • Helenezx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
            In a message dated 1/28/0 12:39:01 AM, jimhoney@... writes:

            << Ruzbachy >>

            There are thermal springs here and a healing spa - in fact this is the only
            place in Slovakia where you can swim in the mouth of a volcanic crater - it's
            in the upper Ruz~bachy.

            helene
          • Gregory J. Kopchak
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
              Koterbachy was originally a German mining settlement in Spis.

              The oldest cemetery is German. The Carpatho-Rusyns moved in during the
              1700's to work the mines with a mass exodus to America circa 1900.

              After World War II, the town was renamed from Koterbachy to Rudnany. It is
              now known as Rudnany today.

              I picked up an ethnicity map for the Austro-Hungarian Empire circa 1815 this
              week and found it to be most interesting. I'll have it posted on line in a
              couple of weeks. It shows areas of what is now the eastern Slovak republic
              to be German.

              Greg Kopchak
              http://www.iarelative.com

              > An Index from Slovak Pride is available at
              > http://www.iarelative.com/slovakpride/
              >
              > There are also instructions for contacting others researching the surname,
              > adding your surnames, and ordering the complete book.
              >
              > Greg Kopchak

              Looking for the lowest refinance rate for your mortgage?
              GetSmart.com can help. We'll help you find the loan you
              need - quick, easy, and FREE click

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
                I look forward to that, Greg. A lot of German surnames occur in the
                Lutheran records from Rank and Opina. I wonder, how could we find out who
                the local German landowners were? From the tax records?

                Andrea

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
                  In a message dated 1/28/0 2:33:34 AM, drav@... writes:

                  << A lot of German surnames occur >>

                  There is an excellent book by Duncan Gardiner - "German Towns in Slovakia"
                  which tells about the three areas of German settlement in Slovakia, Spis was
                  a major one.
                  What's interesting is in some cases the people weren't German at all but were
                  from Belgium or Alsace or the Netherlands - this can be learned from the book
                  and also approximate dates of settlement for many of the towns as well as the
                  old German names - surprisingly the first settlers came as early as the
                  1100s. The book has been republished several times and Duncan is an expert on
                  this topic and has written several articles on it in our Slovakia newsletter.
                  Tho I don't think his book gets into German landowners. I think in this
                  region there were many miners and craftspeople.

                  helene
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000
                    Thanks -- curiously enough, there is a Vangor living in Belgium...