Re: [S-R] Slovak surnames Krofchick Shurin

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, dhanich@j... wrote:
      > Yeah,
      > Afterwards I was thinking it might have been something like that. Thanks=

      > for clearing it up.
      >

      > On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:21:34 -0400 "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
      > <JArmata@g...> writes:
      > > Whoops, I looked back at your original message and I misread the
      > > semicolon! You meant your Krofchick/Karvcic was from Hanigovce, not
      > > Vil'sinky. But the meaning is surely still the same as "tailor",
      > > as
      > > the village is in NE Slovakia and in the Rusyn/Ukrainian speaking
      > > area.
      > >
      > > Joe
      > >

      > > > Also, if it is not a bother, can you tell the
      > > meanings
      > > of the
      > > > following surnames: Hanich/Hanics, Salapka (both from
      > > Vil'sinky,
      > > > Ukraine) and Krofchick/Kravcic; Surin, (both from Hanigovce,
      > > Saros)?
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > David Hanich

      David,

      When I had replied to you by direct email rather than at [S-R] I found
      the surnames Kravcová (fem.gender version) and Kravec listed in Slovakia
      telephone directory under Lipany.
      Since you said the surnames were Krofchick and Kravcic assumed they were
      misspelled.
      When Slovakia telephone directory listed many surnames Kravcová, Kravec, a=
      nd Kravc^ik
      under Pres^ov, Sabinov, Vel'ky' S^aris, Pec^ovská Nová Ves et al assumed th=
      ey
      were the same as those from Hangovce and your clan was spread throughout t=
      his region of
      Slovakia.

      When an occupational surname is a tailor.

      tailor
      sartor (L)
      szabó (H)
      siuvèjas (Lith)
      krajc^ír (Sk)
      krawiec (Pl)
      krejc^í (Cz)
      krojac^ (Sl)
      krojac^ (Cr)
      K P O J A h (Cyrillic)
      k r o j a ch Serbian
      K P A B h |/| K (Cyrillic)
      k r a v ch y k Ukr
      K P A B e || b (Cyrillic)
      k r a v e ts Ukr
      | | O P T H O |/| (Cyrillic)
      p o r t n o i Russian

      seamtress
      no"í szabó (H) no"í = woman
      krajc^irka (Sk)
      krawcowa (Pl)
      s^ivilja (Sl)
      krojac^ica (Cr)
      K P A B h |/| X A (Cyrillic)
      k r a v ch y kh a Ukr
      || O P T H |/| X A (Cyrillic)
      p o r t n i kh a Russian

      Don't think I can do better than Joe Armata (Univ of Pgh) but I do explore=
      more
      places for surname origins.

      Frank K