[S-R] Re: S-R SURNAMES

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
      > At 08:26 PM 5/4/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      >
      > >Kantor is found in Spis^ but EIR lists 1,364 surnames and Kantor
      > > is usually a Jewish surname.
      > >Cantor is a singer in a synagogue who leads congregation in prayer.
      > >In Slovakia Catholic churches kept records of Jewish communities.
      >
      > Frank,
      >
      > The GC, now Byzantine, church has kantors who lead the congregation in
      > prayer also.
      >
      > John M

      John

      And Cayce was correct about Russian Orthodox religion.

      Although one Jewish temple cantor even hailed from the Russian
      operatic stage.

      Cantor, literally is "psalmist" || c a J| o m ||| h |/| k (psalomshchik)
      Russian - in the sense of a singer, or leader of music in the church.

      What I meant to indicate was that one doesn't need to know Hebrew
      to distinguish Jewish, Hungarian, Slavic, and Germanic given names
      listed in EIR. Even in a listing of 1,000 surnames this speeds up the
      process of elimination of surnames quickly.

      Frank K