Re: [S-R] Why Change a Surname Spelling?

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004
      Scserbak (shcherbak) does mean something with gaps in it in
      Ukrainian, and could mean a gap-toothed person. One dictionary
      has shcherbatyj = notched, gap-toothed, with no teeth in front;
      and it has shcherbak = a knife with notches in it.

      The spelling change from "e" to "i" probably just reflects
      regional pronunciation. The "scs" and "sc" are just
      Hungarian/Slovak ways to spell the same sounds.

      Joe