Re: [S-R] Re: Slovak Surnames Lacsni, Lacny, Gajdos, Mlinarcik,Jeriscak

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004
      I can add two more: Gajdos may be out of usage as a common Slovak
      word nowadays, but it means a bagpiper: gajdy = bagpipes, gajdos
      = bagpiper. (Can you tell I love bagpipes?)

      Lacsni/Lacny - if Slovak, this would mean desirous or hungry (no,
      not Hungary!); and
      if these are from a Rusyn/Ukrainian area, there's a Ukrainian
      word lachny meaning timid or dreadful, kind of opposite meanings
      in some ways!

      Joe