Surname meaning

  • shawn earls
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2004
      Hello-

      I'm hoping you can look up the meaning of my family's surname, FRATRIK.
      Thank you for your help.
      Karen Earls

    • jodygonda4
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
        In researching my ancestors, I find different spellings of their
        surname. The surname is Pisut but I have also seen Bisut and Bishop.
        It would really help me in my research if someone could tell me if
        Pisut/Bisut translated means Bishop. I've been trying to find this out
        myself, checked the website; 'Behind the Name Czech and Slovak Names',
        but my surnames are not listed.
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
          Bishop in Slovak is "biskup."  I think you have a case of "spelling how it sounds," not translation.  That also very often happens. Pis~ut, however, is not a word that is in common usage anymore, and I could not find you a meaning. Sorry!

          Ben

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
            The Czech word for bishop is (I have not the symbols) biskup, which
            certainly seems close enough to your name to be a strong contender.

            Elizabeth
            steps!
            %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
              Is this family by chance from mid- to western Slovakia? :-)

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                I'm not 100% sure yet where exactly they were from, but I think Zabidov.  Although I have an address for a Pisut that was in my Aunt's address book and she has down Dolny Kubin.

                Jody

              • johnqadam@rogers.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                  >>> I'm not 100% sure yet where exactly they were from, but I think
                  Zabidov. <<<

                  On the 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/arva.jpg the
                  village is called Zabido, Arva Megye (county). On current maps it is
                  Zabiedovo. Located 4 km east of Tvrdosin and 6.5 km by road from
                  Trstena.

                  RC church records at LDS are likely found under Trstena.
                • Jody Gonda
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                    Thank you!!!

                    Jody

                    >>> I'm not 100% sure yet where exactly they were from, but I think
                    Zabidov. <<<

                    On the 1910 map at http://lazarus. elte.hu/hun/ maps/1910/ arva.jpg the
                    village is called Zabido, Arva Megye (county). On current maps it is
                    Zabiedovo. Located 4 km east of Tvrdosin and 6.5 km by road from
                    Trstena.

                    RC church records at LDS are likely found under Trstena.

                  • Heather
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                      Please can someone tell me what the surname PETRICSKO means. They come from Szacsur, Zemplen County. I'm thinking something about "rocks".

                      Thanks, Heather
                    • david1law@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                        Dear Heather:

                        The word kő in Hungarian means "stone" or "rock" and it sometimes appears
                        at the end of certain place names like Boldogko ("Happy Stone") castle, the
                        surname PETRISKO is not likely to be Hungarian in origin. The suffix
                        -ISKO /-KO is a Slavic diminutive suffix meaning "little" or "small" (cognate
                        with the Greek suffix -ISKOS also meaning "little" or "small"). The root
                        PETRI or PETRUS are Latin forms of the Greek name PETROS meaning "stone." The
                        name PETRISKO essentially means "Little Peter" and connotes the
                        descendants of a person name PETER. Here is a great site called BEHIND THE NAME:
                        THE HISTORY AND ETYMOLOGY OF FIRST NAMES:

                        _http://www.behindthename.com/name/peter_
                        (http://www.behindthename.com/name/peter)

                        If you click on the link to the side for "RELATED NAMES" you will see
                        various forms of the name PETER in different languages.

                        Best regards,

                        David