Re: [S-R]Ellis Island name changes

  • WHew536674@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2004
      In a message dated 5/2/2004 9:27:43 PM Central Standard Time,
      greta66@... writes:
      > My father's family name is Hirjak from Nagykemencze (now it is
      > Kamencze nad Circhou). When they came through Ellis island it was changed
      > to Herrock.

      Name changes by EI authorities is a 100 year old urban legend. The names
      were not changed by any authorities at Ellis Island. If the names were changed,
      it was the sole discretion of the person, usually to blend into the American
      society, sometime after they left the island.
      Joyce

    • GRETCHEN HERROCK
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2004
        Ah ha! Makes more sense. Now that I think of it, my great-grandparents did
        have the Hirjak name on the log at EI...they did change it themselves.

        greta66@... writes:
        > My father's family name is Hirjak from Nagykemencze (now it is
        > Kamencze nad Circhou). When they came through Ellis island it was changed
        > to Herrock.

        Name changes by EI authorities is a 100 year old urban legend. The names
        were not changed by any authorities at Ellis Island. If the names were
        changed,
        it was the sole discretion of the person, usually to blend into the
        American
        society, sometime after they left the island.
        Joyce

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to: