Re: [S-R] Slovak surnames

  • rthomas109464@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 49 , May 2, 2004
      Thank you Frank and Vladimir,
      The Jozsef Czokoly from Rimaszombat is the one I think was
      my mother's father. I have a picture of my mother's mother
      Apolina Vincze taken in Rimaszombat before she came to
      America. Apolina is supposed to have been born in Felso Valy.

      After my mother's baptism in Ohio, USA in 1908 , Jozsef Czokoly
      falls off the face of the earth. Her mother next appears in
      Chicago, Illinois, USA married to Stephen Kovach. My mother
      always thought Stephen was her father. Her mother told her
      the truth just before she married my father in 1938.

      All I have is Jozsef Czokoly's name. I suspect Rimaszombat is not
      where he was born. Don't know his father or mother. Naturally
      I know mom's stepfather was born in Kutas and his father was
      also a Stephen.

      Richard

      Richard W.Thomas
      814 Forestdale Road
      Royal Oak,Michigan 48067
      USA
      Thomas,Badgerow,Ferrier,Stock,Bevins,Ferguson
      Czokoly,Vincze,Kovach,Hess,Younglove

      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/t/h/o/Richard-William-Thomas-MI/index.html

      rthomas109464@...

      > Dear Richard,
      > The closest I have is Csorfoly, which is not the same or related.=

      > Czokoly appears to be purely hungarian and related to the hungari=
      an word csok , meaning a kiss.( in free humoristic
      translation ; Kissinger :-)
      > Regards,
      > Vladimir

      Richard,

      The archaic Hungarian diagraph "ch" or "ts" used in family names is
      the modern Hungarian letter "cs" pron. "ch".
      This is equivalent to Slovak diacritic (accented) letter "c^", also
      pron. "ch".
      The letter "cs" which was pron. as "ts" was eliminated in 1910.
      The archaic diagraph "cz" = "c" pron. as "ts".

      Chocolate
      Csokolᤥ (H)
      C^okolᤡ (Sk)

      kiss, to kiss
      cs󫬠cs󫯬 (H)
      bozk, bozkat' (Sk)

      Expect the only kisses you can expect from "root word"
      meaning would be silver -wrapped "kisses" made by the Hershey
      Chocolate Co.

      Ellis Island Records list 16 surnames Czokoly who emigrated to
      US 1902-1921.
      The manifests spell the surnames as Czokoly.
      Surnames seem to be from Rumince (Sk) Runya (H) located 147 miles east
      of Bratislava and Tornal'a (Sk) Tornallja (H) located 149 miles east of
      Bratislava.
      And one surname was from Szombat (H) either Nagy- or Rima- ? in now
      Slovakia.

      The Slovakia telephone directory list two surnames Czokoly under Rumince.

      Frank K

    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 49 of 49 , Jul 29 9:26 AM
        Hopefully, the persons carrying these 40,000 names are all males or else the
        name is gone.
        That is so incredible.
        Noreen

        Of all surnames, there are more than 40000 being carried only by one person!
        Vladimir