Re: KRISKO

  • Dan Kisha
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
      Jackie McNabb:

      Talked to my uncle and his wife and the Kricko's they know are from
      Brownsville, PA, which is a part of Johnstown, Pa. They were Lutheran,
      because they belonged to our church..

      This may be the same family.

      Dan Kisha
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
      • LJoh734607@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 1999
          Hi Jackie
          Wish i could help but, most of my family settled in Chicago
          Thanks Les -San Francisco
        • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 1999
            Hi Jackie,

            Your first step will be to get the appropriate death, marriage and birth
            information on family group sheets based on what you already know.

            Then go to your local Family History Center and order the microfilms of
            the 1920 US census for the location the family was, or order a soundex
            for the Krisko name for that state. (See the section on US Census on the
            Hints page if you don't know what that all means.) Work backwards in the
            census from there to find when they arrived, who was living with whom
            etc.

            The other helpful thing you can do is to use the online Social Security
            Death Index to find information such as birth and death dates on your
            people. I like that database better than the one available at the FHC
            because you can limit it to certain states or counties. You may find
            some good information that way.

            Hope this helps you.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
            sabinov@...
            Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • Dan Kisha
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 1999
              Jackie:

              It is definitely the side of the mountain.

              Yes, you should.

              Dan Kisha
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 1999
                There were Slovak families in Rockland County, NY and nearby by the name of
                Kurisko. Do you think that originally it was the same name? Regina Haring
                > Your first step will be to get the appropriate death, marriage and birth
                > information on family group sheets based on what you already know.
                >
                > Then go to your local Family History Center and order the microfilms of
                > the 1920 US census for the location the family was, or order a soundex
                > for the Krisko name for that state. (See the section on US Census on the
                > Hints page if you don't know what that all means.) Work backwards in the
                > census from there to find when they arrived, who was living with whom
                > etc.
                >
                > The other helpful thing you can do is to use the online Social Security
                > Death Index to find information such as birth and death dates on your
                > people. I like that database better than the one available at the FHC
                > because you can limit it to certain states or counties. You may find
                > some good information that way.
                >
                > Hope this helps you.
                >
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                > sabinov@...
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                > With more than 20 million e-mails exchanged daily...
                > http://www.onelist.com
                > ...ONElist is home to the liveliest discussions on the Internet!

              • Dollins
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 1999
                  Hello, all you KRISKO researchers. There seem to be several of us.

                  If you want to compare your family with mine, check out this part of my web
                  page: http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/JanPlacko.html

                  All of my Kriskos are from Brezova pod Bradlom, Nitra.

                  Anabeth Dollins
                  axd2@...