Re: [S-R] Slovak Surnames

  • GRETCHEN HERROCK
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2004
      Hi Mike. My father's family name is Hirjak from Nagykemencze (now it is
      Kamencze nad Circhou). When they came through Ellis island it was changed
      to Herrock. Others have it as Herock or even Herrick. I have very little
      information but if you have relatives in the Pittsburgh, PA area I may be
      able to help you.
      Gretchen Herrock

      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2004
        Dear Vladimir,

        I missed the first part of this, but it seems everyone is asking you the meaning of Slovak names. I would like to ask you the meaning of Linsca, Parana, and Pruzinsky.
        Also, since someone asked for the meaning "Horvath," I will ask for the meaning of "Osvath."

        The latter name belongs to my daughter, from her father. It seems to be a common name in Hungary. When visiting Budapest during the early 1990s, she discovered "Osvath Street," and she exclaimed that there was a "peep show" on Osvath Street. Her grandfather said it had been spelled "Ozsvath" in the past.

        Incidentally, my maternal grandmother used to tell us she attended school in either Buda or Pest. She was Zuzanna Linsca from Plavnica (now in Slovakia). It must have been a long walk : - )

        Susan Friedhaber-Hard

        Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
        Dear Mike,
        Bily = White
        Horvath = Croat
        Stefan = Stephen
        Sivic not in the book, but may well be connected to the slovak word sivy, which means gray, like gray hair.
        Vladimir

        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2004
          Dear Susan,
          Linsca is not there. I would say, it is a misspelling.
          Parana is not there.
          Pruzinsky is not there. Pruzina is a sprig, like metal spring
          Oswath is probably a derivation from Oswald, german name. I have Ozvath version.
          Oszvat is a hungarian spelling of this name.

          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2004
            Dear Joni,
            Novy = new. Such a name was given sometimes to those, who newly came to a settlement and did not have a last name, or it developed from an alias.
            Knobloch comes from german Knoblauch = garlic. A more distant possibility would be Knopfloch, also german, meaning button hole.
            Vladimir

            Message 5 of 20 , May 3, 2004
              Dear Mike,
              Rusnak = member of the Rusyn ethnical group
              Horvath indicates, that his ancestors were from Croatia. Many Croats came to Slovakia. Maybe some did not have last names or, more probably, their last names were very unpractical for local folks, so he was given a last name Horvath, which actually may have been used as an alias in the beginning. The same situation we have with names like Polak, Cech, Italian, Grek etc.
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                Dear Mike,
                Hirjak is not there.
                Poszipanka or Posipanka in slovak is not there either, but posypat means to strew
                Vrabely comes from Vrabec, the sparrow.
                Pajkos = from hungarian word pajkos, a dissolute, extravagant person
                Kmetz ( Kmet)= archaic for a farmer, head of the farmer's family, still modern word for the same in Slovenia.
                Nyemetz = Nemec = German

                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                  In a message dated 5/3/2004 5:29:02 AM, konekta@... writes:
                  << Dear Freinds,
                  Due to lack of time, I have to close this shop now. i hope, I have helped
                  some of you a little.
                  Regards,
                  Vladimir >>

                  Thank you very much Vladimir, you have been a big help,
                  Mike (researching Bily & Stefanova from Bogliarka & Hervartov)
                • VandenJS@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                    Vladimir,

                    Thank you for the Knobloch info. I know checking these names can be time
                    consuming.
                    I appreciate your help.

                    Joni V
                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                      Dear Marge,
                      Pavlik; there are a myriad of variations derived from the first name Pavel.
                      Jakub (Yakub is americanized spelling) and many variations come from first name Jakub, or Jakagobh in Hebrew.
                      ( meaning holding his heel)
                      Olsavsky indicates, that the first carriers of this surname were from one of the places, that have Olsa in their name.
                      The word olsa again, in eastern slovak language means alder tree.
                      Vladimir

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                        Dear Vladimir,
                        Thank you for looking up my surnames. As always you have been very helpful and kind.
                        Thanks,
                        Mike Hamilton

                          var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129fpm296/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1083671364/A=1894285/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/piano_lrec.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129fpm296/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1083671364/A=1894285/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/lrec.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                            Dear Vladimir,,,,,,,,,,,it is greatly appreciated that you took the time to
                            look up all of the members surnames who so requested............It was great
                            fun learning about them..........Thank you!

                          • Mike Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                              Hi Gretchen,
                              The Hirjak members in my family are Joseph b.1872 & George b. 1876 in Hungary. They came to the US in 1889 - 1890 and were living in Toronto, OH in 1900. Joseph married my great aunt Anna Vrabel in Toronto in 1892. Joseph and Anna moved to first moved to Wisconsin and by 1910 were living on a farm in Slovak, Arkansas where they raised their family and spent the rest of their days. I don't know what became of George. I have thus far been unable to find their immigration records or where they came from in Hungary. At times they also went by the name of Herrick. I do not know of any connection to to Pittsburgh but it is only about an hour drive from Toronto. Thanks for your email and interest.
                              Mike

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                                Ancestry database shows:

                                Name Arrival Date Age Gender Port of Departure Destination Place of Origin
                                Ship Name

                                Janos (incorrectly writtern as James) HIRJACK (Unknown) 18 Feb 1888 age 29
                                Male Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England NY HUN Ems
                                May not be a match, but might give a clue. From Hungary

                                Here is another approach to finding records. First, don't assume that the
                                1890-ish was the only trip or that others didn't come later with the same
                                name from the same village. Sometimes searching for other relatives or
                                villagers will get you what you can't get directly.

                                Ellis Island records:

                                1 Hirjah,Nanyl 1894 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                2 Hirjak,Anna Hornya 1899 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                3 Hirjak,Janos 1895 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                4 Hirjak,Janos Helmecke 1897 8 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                5 Hirjak,Maria Helmecke 1897 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                6 Hirjak,Martin Halmaczke 1899 34 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                7 Hirjak,Mihaly Szbugga 1900 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                8 Hirjak,Pal 1896 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest
                                Ship Image

                                Now search on village names:
                                Hirjak,Anna Hornya 1899 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                2 Hlivak,Gyorgy Hornya 1900 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                3 Holynka,Andras Hornya 1900 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image

                                Hirak,Martin Helmeczka 1899 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                2 Hirjak,Janos Helmecke 1897 8 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                3 Hirjak,Maria Helmecke 1897 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                4 Hizak,Janos Helmeczke 1898 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                5 Holovej,Lydia Helmecz 1899 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                6 Holub,Andras Helmecz 1900 31 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                7 Horvath,Josef Helmecz 1900 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image
                                8 Hromi,Martin Helmeczko 1892 45 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                Manifest Ship Image

                                Now look up the name Hromi,Martin - he arrived in 1892. Look at the
                                manifest. A few lines up from Martin is:
                                You find:
                                May 19, 1892 Rotterdam
                                0392. Hiriak, Gyorgy M 35y U Austrian Hemeckzo

                                Hope this helps,

                                ______________
                                Bill Tarkulich

                                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 4, 2004
                                  ancestry records:

                                  Name Arrival Date Age Gender Port of Departure Destination Place of Origin
                                  Ship Name
                                  Anna Vrabec 18 Jun 1890 20 Female Bremen, Germany and Southampton,
                                  England USA ?? Ems

                                  Bill Tarkulich