Slovak Surnames

  • Mike Hamilton
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2004
      Dear Vladimir,
      My family includes the following surnames: Hirjak, Poszipanka, Vrabely, Pajkos, Kmetz and Nyemetz. Could you please see if you have any of these are in your book.
      Thank you for all you do for the SLOVAK-ROOTS Group. You are alway so generous of your time and knowledge.
      Thanks,
      Mike Hamilton

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2004
        Dear Freinds,
        Due to lack of time, I have to close this shop now. i hope, I have helped some of you a little.
        Regards,
        Vladimir

      • Jeanann Jameson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2004
          hi you have been a great help thanks for all your work
          and patience. take care and be safe jeanann

        • Mebjwb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2004
            Dear Vladimir,

            I seem to have gotten in on the Surname business at a late start. Apparently
            you have a book which shows the origin of some Slovak Surnames, and you are
            generously sharing this information with members of this group.

            I am interested in the surnames of Pavlik and Yacub (Or Yacul) from Zemplen
            and Olsavski (or Olsavsky) from Ung. Are any of these surnames listed in your
            book? Thank you very much for researching this information for me.

            Marge Bonifield

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2004
              Dear Vladimir,

              With all the interest in Slovakia surnames at [S-R] where is the Slovakia
              census information available in a database which includes the surnames
              with connection to different locations and time periods ?
              Supposedly it covers 765,000 surnames.
              You are located in Slovakia and have a book or books on with surname listings.
              I am in US and have a list of the 50,000 most common Slovak surnames. Period.
              Just an alphabetical listing of some Slovak lastnames.

              What does one have to do, pay or hire for someone to go look up surnames in
              some large database ? So much per name ?

              The current Slovakia population is perhaps 5,400,000 ?

              Frank K
            • Kelly Gyurkovits
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2004
                Dear Vladimir,

                I know you are a very busy person with answering questions about
                surnames, but when you find the time could you look up my family
                name "Gyurkovics", they are from the villiage of Koros (Kruzna) in
                Slovakia, I have written to some family over in the old country and
                have had a response, it seems my family were land barons before the
                second world war, and have lived in the villiage since the 1880's or
                so.
                Kelly Gyurkovits