[S-R] Slovak Surnames

  • MEMcDTT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2 6:24 AM
      Vladimir,

      I would be interested is the meanings of the following surnames from the area
      of Bogliarka and Hervartov:

      Bily, Horvath/Horvathova, Stefan/Stefanova, and Sivic/Sivikova, Rusnak.

      Thanks for the information.

      Mike
    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2 6:33 AM
        Dear squinch42,
        none of the surnames are in the book. I would like to point out, that although the book has about 4500 surnames, this can not cover all of them. I find this book interesting, because it is the first one I found, that deals with explanation of the origins of surnames in such a number.
        Timocsko surely is related to the name of the region called Timok.
        Vladimir

        Message 3 of 20 , May 2 6:41 AM
          Dear Mike,
          Bily = White
          Horvath = Croat
          Stefan = Stephen
          Sivic not in the book, but may well be connected to the slovak word sivy, which means gray, like gray hair.
          Vladimir

          I would be interested is the meanings of the following surnames from the area
          of Bogliarka and Hervartov:

          Bily, Horvath/Horvathova, Stefan/Stefanova, and Sivic/Sivikova, Rusnak.

          Thanks for the information.

          Mike

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          http://www.eset.sk

        • MEMcDTT@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2 6:13 PM
            Dear Vladimir,
            Does Rusnak indicate that the family would be Rusin?
            Does Horvath = Croat mean that the family would originally be from Croatia?
            Thank you,
            Mike

            Message 5 of 20 , May 2 6:32 PM
              Could you please check and see if you have anything on the surnames
              Novy,Knobloch or Hnoblochova.?

              Thank you for sharing with us.

              Joni V.
            • GRETCHEN HERROCK
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2 6:50 PM
                Hi Mike. My father's family name is Hirjak from Nagykemencze (now it is
                Kamencze nad Circhou). When they came through Ellis island it was changed
                to Herrock. Others have it as Herock or even Herrick. I have very little
                information but if you have relatives in the Pittsburgh, PA area I may be
                able to help you.
                Gretchen Herrock

                Message 7 of 20 , May 2 9:18 PM
                  Dear Vladimir,

                  I missed the first part of this, but it seems everyone is asking you the meaning of Slovak names. I would like to ask you the meaning of Linsca, Parana, and Pruzinsky.
                  Also, since someone asked for the meaning "Horvath," I will ask for the meaning of "Osvath."

                  The latter name belongs to my daughter, from her father. It seems to be a common name in Hungary. When visiting Budapest during the early 1990s, she discovered "Osvath Street," and she exclaimed that there was a "peep show" on Osvath Street. Her grandfather said it had been spelled "Ozsvath" in the past.

                  Incidentally, my maternal grandmother used to tell us she attended school in either Buda or Pest. She was Zuzanna Linsca from Plavnica (now in Slovakia). It must have been a long walk : - )

                  Susan Friedhaber-Hard

                  Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
                  Dear Mike,
                  Bily = White
                  Horvath = Croat
                  Stefan = Stephen
                  Sivic not in the book, but may well be connected to the slovak word sivy, which means gray, like gray hair.
                  Vladimir

                  I would be interested is the meanings of the following surnames from the area
                  of Bogliarka and Hervartov:

                  Bily, Horvath/Horvathova, Stefan/Stefanova, and Sivic/Sivikova, Rusnak.

                  Thanks for the information.

                  Mike

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  http://www.eset.sk

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                  var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129tqau26/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1083591768/A=1874365/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_fin_lrec_01.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129tqau26/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1083591768/A=1874365/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_fin_lrec_01.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3 2:41 AM
                    Dear Susan,
                    Linsca is not there. I would say, it is a misspelling.
                    Parana is not there.
                    Pruzinsky is not there. Pruzina is a sprig, like metal spring
                    Oswath is probably a derivation from Oswald, german name. I have Ozvath version.
                    Oszvat is a hungarian spelling of this name.

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3 2:45 AM
                      Dear Joni,
                      Novy = new. Such a name was given sometimes to those, who newly came to a settlement and did not have a last name, or it developed from an alias.
                      Knobloch comes from german Knoblauch = garlic. A more distant possibility would be Knopfloch, also german, meaning button hole.
                      Vladimir

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3 2:49 AM
                        Dear Mike,
                        Rusnak = member of the Rusyn ethnical group
                        Horvath indicates, that his ancestors were from Croatia. Many Croats came to Slovakia. Maybe some did not have last names or, more probably, their last names were very unpractical for local folks, so he was given a last name Horvath, which actually may have been used as an alias in the beginning. The same situation we have with names like Polak, Cech, Italian, Grek etc.

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3 3:06 AM
                          Dear Mike,
                          Hirjak is not there.
                          Poszipanka or Posipanka in slovak is not there either, but posypat means to strew
                          Vrabely comes from Vrabec, the sparrow.
                          Pajkos = from hungarian word pajkos, a dissolute, extravagant person
                          Kmetz ( Kmet)= archaic for a farmer, head of the farmer's family, still modern word for the same in Slovenia.
                          Nyemetz = Nemec = German

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3 6:58 AM
                            In a message dated 5/3/2004 5:29:02 AM, konekta@... writes:
                            << Dear Freinds,
                            Due to lack of time, I have to close this shop now. i hope, I have helped
                            some of you a little.
                            Regards,
                            Vladimir >>

                            Thank you very much Vladimir, you have been a big help,
                            Mike (researching Bily & Stefanova from Bogliarka & Hervartov)
                          • VandenJS@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3 8:23 AM
                              Vladimir,

                              Thank you for the Knobloch info. I know checking these names can be time
                              consuming.
                              I appreciate your help.

                              Joni V
                            • Vladimir Bohinc
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 3 9:27 AM
                                Dear Marge,
                                Pavlik; there are a myriad of variations derived from the first name Pavel.
                                Jakub (Yakub is americanized spelling) and many variations come from first name Jakub, or Jakagobh in Hebrew.
                                ( meaning holding his heel)
                                Olsavsky indicates, that the first carriers of this surname were from one of the places, that have Olsa in their name.
                                The word olsa again, in eastern slovak language means alder tree.
                                Vladimir

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 3 10:29 AM
                                  Dear Vladimir,
                                  Thank you for looking up my surnames. As always you have been very helpful and kind.
                                  Thanks,
                                  Mike Hamilton

                                    var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129fpm296/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1083671364/A=1894285/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/piano_lrec.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129fpm296/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1083671364/A=1894285/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/lrec.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 3 5:27 PM
                                      Dear Vladimir,,,,,,,,,,,it is greatly appreciated that you took the time to
                                      look up all of the members surnames who so requested............It was great
                                      fun learning about them..........Thank you!

                                    • Mike Hamilton
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 4 4:46 PM
                                        Hi Gretchen,
                                        The Hirjak members in my family are Joseph b.1872 & George b. 1876 in Hungary. They came to the US in 1889 - 1890 and were living in Toronto, OH in 1900. Joseph married my great aunt Anna Vrabel in Toronto in 1892. Joseph and Anna moved to first moved to Wisconsin and by 1910 were living on a farm in Slovak, Arkansas where they raised their family and spent the rest of their days. I don't know what became of George. I have thus far been unable to find their immigration records or where they came from in Hungary. At times they also went by the name of Herrick. I do not know of any connection to to Pittsburgh but it is only about an hour drive from Toronto. Thanks for your email and interest.
                                        Mike

                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 4 5:34 PM
                                          Ancestry database shows:

                                          Name Arrival Date Age Gender Port of Departure Destination Place of Origin
                                          Ship Name

                                          Janos (incorrectly writtern as James) HIRJACK (Unknown) 18 Feb 1888 age 29
                                          Male Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England NY HUN Ems
                                          May not be a match, but might give a clue. From Hungary

                                          Here is another approach to finding records. First, don't assume that the
                                          1890-ish was the only trip or that others didn't come later with the same
                                          name from the same village. Sometimes searching for other relatives or
                                          villagers will get you what you can't get directly.

                                          Ellis Island records:

                                          1 Hirjah,Nanyl 1894 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          2 Hirjak,Anna Hornya 1899 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          3 Hirjak,Janos 1895 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          4 Hirjak,Janos Helmecke 1897 8 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          5 Hirjak,Maria Helmecke 1897 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          6 Hirjak,Martin Halmaczke 1899 34 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                          Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                          7 Hirjak,Mihaly Szbugga 1900 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          8 Hirjak,Pal 1896 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest
                                          Ship Image

                                          Now search on village names:
                                          Hirjak,Anna Hornya 1899 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          2 Hlivak,Gyorgy Hornya 1900 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          3 Holynka,Andras Hornya 1900 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image

                                          Hirak,Martin Helmeczka 1899 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          2 Hirjak,Janos Helmecke 1897 8 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          3 Hirjak,Maria Helmecke 1897 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          4 Hizak,Janos Helmeczke 1898 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          5 Holovej,Lydia Helmecz 1899 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          6 Holub,Andras Helmecz 1900 31 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          7 Horvath,Josef Helmecz 1900 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image
                                          8 Hromi,Martin Helmeczko 1892 45 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                          Manifest Ship Image

                                          Now look up the name Hromi,Martin - he arrived in 1892. Look at the
                                          manifest. A few lines up from Martin is:
                                          You find:
                                          May 19, 1892 Rotterdam
                                          0392. Hiriak, Gyorgy M 35y U Austrian Hemeckzo

                                          Hope this helps,

                                          ______________
                                          Bill Tarkulich

                                          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 4 5:57 PM
                                            ancestry records:

                                            Name Arrival Date Age Gender Port of Departure Destination Place of Origin
                                            Ship Name
                                            Anna Vrabec 18 Jun 1890 20 Female Bremen, Germany and Southampton,
                                            England USA ?? Ems

                                            Bill Tarkulich