Slovak Surnames

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 5:38 AM
      Vladimir,

      I would be interested is the meanings of two surnames from the
      village of Orlov. My grandmother's was TIMOCSKO and my grandfather's -
      in both Hungarian and Slovak - was SZTEGENA/STEGENA. Thanks for the
      information.
    • Mike Hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 3:18 PM
        Dear Vladimir,
        My family includes the following surnames: Hirjak, Poszipanka, Vrabely, Pajkos, Kmetz and Nyemetz. Could you please see if you have any of these are in your book.
        Thank you for all you do for the SLOVAK-ROOTS Group. You are alway so generous of your time and knowledge.
        Thanks,
        Mike Hamilton

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3 5:10 AM
          Dear Freinds,
          Due to lack of time, I have to close this shop now. i hope, I have helped some of you a little.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

        • Jeanann Jameson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3 6:15 AM
            hi you have been a great help thanks for all your work
            and patience. take care and be safe jeanann

          • Mebjwb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3 9:01 AM
              Dear Vladimir,

              I seem to have gotten in on the Surname business at a late start. Apparently
              you have a book which shows the origin of some Slovak Surnames, and you are
              generously sharing this information with members of this group.

              I am interested in the surnames of Pavlik and Yacub (Or Yacul) from Zemplen
              and Olsavski (or Olsavsky) from Ung. Are any of these surnames listed in your
              book? Thank you very much for researching this information for me.

              Marge Bonifield

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3 11:09 AM
                Dear Vladimir,

                With all the interest in Slovakia surnames at [S-R] where is the Slovakia
                census information available in a database which includes the surnames
                with connection to different locations and time periods ?
                Supposedly it covers 765,000 surnames.
                You are located in Slovakia and have a book or books on with surname listings.
                I am in US and have a list of the 50,000 most common Slovak surnames. Period.
                Just an alphabetical listing of some Slovak lastnames.

                What does one have to do, pay or hire for someone to go look up surnames in
                some large database ? So much per name ?

                The current Slovakia population is perhaps 5,400,000 ?

                Frank K
              • Kelly Gyurkovits
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3 2:06 PM
                  Dear Vladimir,

                  I know you are a very busy person with answering questions about
                  surnames, but when you find the time could you look up my family
                  name "Gyurkovics", they are from the villiage of Koros (Kruzna) in
                  Slovakia, I have written to some family over in the old country and
                  have had a response, it seems my family were land barons before the
                  second world war, and have lived in the villiage since the 1880's or
                  so.
                  Kelly Gyurkovits