Re: Digest Number 169

  • OLSMARIE@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2000
      In my local phone directory the name Fetchiko is listed ---sometimes people
      took or added a letter from their names ---------Marie G
    • Maureen Pulignano
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2000
        Hello!
        Do you have any idea where your grandparents may have been in 1920? If you do, go to your local Family History Center and use the Soundex system to get the 1920 census film for them. The 1920 census will tell you when they entered the US. You may then want to take a look at the 1910 Census to get an idea where they were when (if?) they were naturalized. Once you have an idea of when and where they were naturalized (and, hopefully they were!) you can go to the appropriate regional archives via
        ( http://www.nara.gov ) and order their naturalization papers via email. The naturalization papers will tell you the date they entered the country, the port they came thru, the ship they came on and the village they came from. (I have just completed this step with the NARA in 11 days!) The next step is to go to the passenger lists/arrival records for their ship. I am told to expect more valuable information from these lists.

        All of this presumes that your grandparents were married in the "old country" and emigrated together. If they met and married here, you will need to do more detective work on your grandmother. You'll need her maiden name. This is where I am on my work -- but, I have at least got the thread on my grandfather. You should be able to do the same.

        I wish you good luck with your search! Keep asking questions when you need help. There are some very helpful people on this list -- one of whom has been invaluable in the search for my grandmother's maiden name. So, be certain to use all the replies you get and don't be afraid to ask for more help!

        Maureen

      • Helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2000
          In a message dated 1/25/0 11:12:44 AM, SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com writes:

          << I am adopted and recently found out that my biological Grandmother's
          maiden name was Helen Fetchik. Her parents names were Anna and John Fetchik.

          Dear Friend - want to call you by name but not listed in your message.

          I am so happy for you -to find out your parents and your ancestral heritage
          is really wonderful !

          I have a data base of names for some 13,000 people and I don't find any
          Fetchik
          but do find two listings for Fec~ik which I think is your name - pronouncing
          it would sound just like Fetchik and likely it was aAmericanized this way,
          nto al all uncommon.

          One is a friend who is from my most favorite Slovak village - he has been
          there many times and in fact led an international campaign to save the
          vilalge from being flooded by a dam. The man in Slovakia that he worked with
          was the only European to receive the international Godlen Prize for
          environemntal corncerns in SAn Francisco last year. My friend who has roots
          in Torysky in old Spis county in E. Slvoakia is Walter Orange and I can give
          you his address to contact if you wish.

          I publish a newsletter for osme 1,500 people with Slvoak heritage mostly
          here in th US and owuld be glad to send you a free ample copy - Slvoakia is a
          magical country with 25,000 years of culture and history and it sounds like
          it is your very own too.

          All best wishes to you. I would also like to list your surname in our Slvoak
          Pride listing and to do that ned to have your first and last name - usually
          we communicate with possible ancestral connections by e mail. But notsure I
          have Walter's - he is a school teacher - in his 30s or 40 s and last summer
          married a lovely woman from e. Slvoakia.

          helene
          helenezx@...

          helene
        • LJoh734607@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 26, 2000
            Hi Helen:
            would love to have a copy of your free booklet and I could add a few names to
            your list.
            My name is
            Les Johnson
            544 27th street