Fetchik

  • Appalacia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
      Hi everyone, I am sorry to bother you over something like this, but I am adopted and recently found out that my biological Grandmother's maiden name was Helen Fetchik. Her parents names were Anna and John Fetchik. I was told they came from Slovakia or Czechoslovakia. Helen was born in the US with her sisters-Anna, Elizabeth,and Mary. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this name or if it is even from one of these countries. Any information would be great. Thank you for your time.
    • Jim Honeychuck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
        According to an entry in Helene Cincebeaux's booklet "Slovak Pride," the
        name Fecik (same pronunciation, of course) is associated with the town of
        Torysky in what was Spis County, Slovakia.

        Good luck in your search.
        Jim
        Researching Hanicak, Urban, and Puhalla

        > Hi everyone, I am sorry to bother you over something like this, but I am
        adopted and recently found out that my biological Grandmother's maiden name
        was Helen Fetchik. Her parents names were Anna and John Fetchik. I was
        told they came from Slovakia or Czechoslovakia. Helen was born in the US
        with her sisters-Anna, Elizabeth,and Mary. I was wondering if anyone has
        heard of this name or if it is even from one of these countries. Any
        information would be great. Thank you for your time.

      • Rich Custer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
          Appalacia@... wrote:

          > From: Appalacia@...
          >
          > Hi everyone, I am sorry to bother you over something like this, but I am adopted and recently found out that my biological Grandmother's maiden name was Helen Fetchik. Her parents names were Anna and John Fetchik. I was told they came from Slovakia or Czechoslovakia. Helen was born in the US with her sisters-Anna, Elizabeth,and Mary. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this name or if it is even from one of these countries. Any information would be great. Thank you for your time.

          Hello,

          The name Fetchik (Fec~yk, Fec~ik) is most probably a Rusyn surname -- in
          that I have never heard of a Slovak with this name. The village of
          Torysky already mentioned is inhabited mostly by Rusyns. Also the
          surname is found farther northeast in Slovakia, in villages like
          C~ukalovce, Hostovice and Parihuzovce. This area is also thoroughly
          Rusyn ethnically. I am pretty sure it is also found among Rusyns on the
          other side of the border -- in Poland, former Austrian Galicia -- but
          since you have clues about "Czechoslovakia" as your ancestors' place of
          origin you probably don't need to worry about that area (yet).

          Helene got her plug in, but since you are probably Rusyn, here's mine:

          http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org (you may well find lots of other Fetchiks
          with surnames/villages listed)
          http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crs -- the Carpatho-Rusyn Society (we have
          a nice newsletter too if I say so myself; I have to, I'm the editor!!
          ;-) )

          Where did your immigrant Fetchik ancestors settle in the USA? Do you
          know?

          Rich Custer
        • JK
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
            > Appalacia@... wrote:
            > >
            > > From: Appalacia@...
            > >
            > > Hi everyone, I am sorry to bother you over something like this, but I am
            adopted and recently found out that my biological Grandmother's maiden name
            was Helen Fetchik. Her parents names were Anna and John Fetchik. I was
            told they came from Slovakia or Czechoslovakia. Helen was born in the US
            with her sisters-Anna, Elizabeth,and Mary. I was wondering if anyone has
            heard of this name or if it is even from one of these countries. Any
            information would be great. Thank you for your time.

            You are no bother at all, if you dont ask there is no way you can learn (and
            utilize the internet all you can, its free). Other resources to aide you
            along with other sites that have been brought to your attention are below.
            All of the sites on the internet are useful in your reseach endeavors and
            utilize as many as possible to learn as much as you can:

            http://rusyn.homepage.com/ - Rusyn Genealogy Home Page (there are many sites
            all located on one page that you may find of interest.

            The Carpathian Connection
            http://www.tccweb.org/

            Best of luck in your research endeavors!

            Best Regards,
            Joy K
          • Maura Petzolt
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
              I see many have given you great answers, and some information, but let
              me also welcome you to the list, and give you a few suggestions.....

              You don't say what research you have done on this family in the US.
              Methodically you'll need to try and get the appropriate birth, marriage
              and death certificates, also trace the family in the US census and
              obtain naturalization papers (which may lead you to ship arrivals). If
              you read through the sections on my Helpful Hints page, it will help you
              figure out those steps.

              Also, since you mention you are adopted, that might present you with
              some special researching situations. There is a section on Cyndi's List
              at http://www.cyndislist.com devoted to this subject, looking at some of
              the links there may help you.

              Good luck in your search , and keep us posted.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
              sabinov@...
              Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            • Ylbrd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
                In a message dated 01/25/2000 2:31:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                rcuster@... writes:

                > The name Fetchik (Fec~yk, Fec~ik) is most probably a Rusyn surname --

                More Fecik's coming at ya.......... If you go to this site..........put in
                the name "FECIK"
                <A HREF="http://fragment.dra.sk/cgi-bin/hladaj">Vysledok hladania pre</A>
                These two names and email address's come up ..........email address' of a
                Lenka Fecikova (all women's surnames end in ova) Send an email to them! They
                are both email addess's in Slovakia. Can't hurt they wil love it!

                Lenka Fecikova fecikova@...
                Fecikova fecikova@...

                Happy Hunting!
                Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix
                "2000"
                Searching for: AMBRISKO, MATEJ, SASSAK, STOFKO, of Kostolany Nad. Hornadom,
                (Druzstevna Pri Honade,& St Istavan) Slovakia, Hernad, Vesce, Hungary.
                BARNYIK, BARNICK, of Dacov, Slovakia. YANICKO, JANICHKO, CHERBA, of
                Dubovica,Slovakia. CHURILLA, KANUSCHEK, POLIVKA, LAZORIK, ISTOCIN of
                Dacov, Slovakia. CHEROK (CZIRAK) of Zemplinski, EVON, IVAN, KOVACH. In
                USA: Scranton, Throop, Olyphant, Newton, Pa., Gary, Indiania, Ansonia &
                Milford Ct.
                Please check out my homepage:
                <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/ylbrd/genealogy/index.htm">Memories........
                ....</A>
                http://hometown.aol.com/ylbrd/genealogy/index.htm
                My Grandmother's Recipes......
                Julianna Lazorik Barnyik Ambrisko
                <A HREF="http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/">Recipes of Slovak-World</A>
                Winner of netscapes open directory Cool Site!
                http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/
                PLEASE E-MAIL ME: ylbrd@... Thank You
                "I've fallen into my family tree and I can't get out!"