Re: [S-R] Translation Software

  • Bratgirl54@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 29 6:29 PM
      Thank you Janet and everyone...I'm taking everyone's advise on this
      subject.............

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 29 7:24 PM
        At 03:04 PM 4/29/2004 -0500, you wrote:

        >A Software Dictionary is OK, but the translation software is not.
        >
        >I am interested in hearing other's recent experience with the accuracy of
        >these products.

        I purchased Slovak translation software a little over a year ago and I'm
        able to use it for writing simple letters only because I heard my Rusyn
        parents speak Rusyn from the time I was a child and I could understand
        everything they said. I resisted communicating in their language until I
        was about ten but finally learned to do a poor job of speaking it. The
        language is close enough to Slovak that I can spot blatant grammatical
        errors. When I try Slovak to English translation, I find I do better on my
        own and only attempt to use the software when I have no idea what the
        translation should be. After the software translates I guess at what the
        correct translation should be based on the content of the letter. Often
        the translation, using the software, turns out to be gibberish.

        John M
      • Janet Thompson
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 29 7:54 PM
          Bill, I will let you know how accurate the translation software is. Having a letter translated by a woman, when I get it returned to me I will check both the original and the translation against the software. Hard to find someone that can translate Ukrainian >< English. My parents were Slovak and spoke it. With the change of borders, etc., where once they spoke Slovak now it is Ukrainian. So just hold in there and I will let you know how it all works out. I am hoping better than you perceive the software to be. Janet

          Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:Janet - I would be very interested in hearing how accurate these translations are.
          Bill

          > From: Janet Thompson <tltjlt2@...>
          > Date: 2004/04/29 Thu PM 02:42:26 CDT
          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [S-R] Translation Software
          >
          > Monica, I just purchased Ukrainian translation software from Logo Media.com
          > it translates Ukrainian <>English. Very reasonable price. They may have a Slovak one. Send them an email and ask and if not can they refer one to you. Good Luck, Janet
          >
          > Bratgirl54@... wrote:
          > Hello Everyone,,,,I cannot tell you my excitement of joining this website and the success it has given to me in finding and/or learning about my ancestors, and background. I come from families of slovak decent on both my mother and father's side. Yet, my generation of children were not taught the language in our family if you were born in the US. This site has brought me to links about culture, history, genealogists, family members living in Slovakia. Most current in Kocise and Brezina from my father's side, and exciting to know how many relatives are still there. Now the search is expanding to my mother's hometown of Stara Tura. This yahoo group has done this for me. What has taken me years of research on my own to do, has taken this site only months. Thank you, thank you and I'm happy to be a part of this group.
          > Now, with all of your help, does anyone know where I can obtain Slovak Language Translation Software??????
          >
          > Thanks from Monica Kurucz-Kosinar

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 29 8:27 PM
            I have a positive experience using translation software, but read on
            to see within which limits.

            My Rusyn cousin gave me PCTranslator v. 2001 by Langsoft & Softex.
            On the info screen they claim 502,771 English words. I haven't
            counted them. After the first few tries I found translating "one
            sentence at a time" rather than "automatic" puts the suggested
            translation on a middle screen and lets me choose how many alternate
            meanings for the word will be displayed. I primarily use it for
            translating Slovak to English and find it ideal for making me use my
            dictionary, concentrate on the language and it is slowly dragging up
            my vocabulary. I am also having to pay attention to Slovak cases for
            the first time, so that is another learning experience. It does not
            change word order or do much if anything with grammar, but it lets me
            edit the dictionary and even set priority of the definition shown.

            Right now I am using it to translate the Slovak on the Lozin website
            and I am learning things I never knew - that is my perfectly
            satisfactory payoff. Once I translate the text I polish it and bring
            it into normal English. When I am done I expect to enter into dialog
            with the site owners, offer them the English version, and see what we
            develop from there.

            I do write to some of the Slovak and Czech family in English or
            German, and sometimes use this to generate a "Slovak" version that I
            enclose. I expect that they look to the English or German version to
            get the intended meaning, but the Slovak is sure to at least amuse.
            We know each other well enough to laugh together.

            So for some purposes it is quite good and useful. It is slow and
            tedious this way, but I am also learning from it where I never
            studied my Slovak language books much.
            Ron
          • jojo
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 29 9:07 PM
              I have not had good luck with translation, or speech recognition, as a school psychologist I record notes consistently, and speech recognition software is not accurate. Translation not very accurate either

              I haven't touched translation software, but in my 15 years of experience with translation software, beginning with my years at Wang Laboratories, I've never been impressed. Language translation software simply has not made much progress in all this time. It would be nice if it has in the past two years.

              The problem is that translations are inheriently syntactical and contextual animals. What I mean, is that you cannot do a word-for-word-translation. It must be examined within the context of the words. Grammar plays an essential part. Software is simply not "trained" to understand these essential pieces. Granted, people have tried, but it's certainly not ready for prime time, at least not Polish, Slovak or English translations to/fro.

              Some people have even written to tell me that their Slovakia-based cousins have told them to bag the translation software - the results were much worse than beginner's bumblings...

              There are enough generous people on this and other forums who may help you privately do translations. If not, there are Slovak nationals willing to do this for VERY reasonable rates.

              A Software Dictionary is OK, but the translation software is not.

              I am interested in hearing other's recent experience with the accuracy of these products.

              > From: Bratgirl54@...
              > Date: 2004/04/29 Thu PM 02:19:15 CDT
              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [S-R] Translation Software
              >
              > Hello Everyone,,,,I cannot tell you my excitement of joining this website and the success it has given to me in finding and/or learning about my ancestors, and background. I come from families of slovak decent on both my mother and father's side. Yet, my generation of children were not taught the language in our family if you were born in the US. This site has brought me to links about culture, history, genealogists, family members living in Slovakia. Most current in Kocise and Brezina from my father's side, and exciting to know how many relatives are still there. Now the search is expanding to my mother's hometown of Stara Tura. This yahoo group has done this for me. What has taken me years of research on my own to do, has taken this site only months. Thank you, thank you and I'm happy to be a part of this group.
              > Now, with all of your help, does anyone know where I can obtain Slovak Language Translation Software??????
              >
              > Thanks from Monica Kurucz-Kosinar

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30 1:54 AM
                Dear Bill,
                This is one of the most beautiful surprises; so you were a follower of Dr. An Wang.
                So were I. Started in 1872 with 700, 600 and later came 400 , 3000 and Basic 2200. Rings any bells?
                We may continue privately.With great pleasure.
                2=R6
                6=R10
                6=RR10
                R6xRR10xR10=?
                Vladimir

                Re translation software;
                As long as you get " Weighted madam" translated from "Vazena pani", you can throw it away.( please take time and analyze this nonsense)
                It does not work with slovak or slavic languages. It is in general very wrong to believe technology can do it all.
                Technology is fast, but is stupid. In any case,not wiser than the programmer.

                http://www.eset.sk

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30 2:50 AM
                  I have the TEOS software. Great dictionary. Has a lot of difficulty translating in either direction.

                  Here is a sample:

                  Input:
                  Mesto leží v Košickej kotline v širokom údolí rieky Hornád, ohraničené na západe výbežkami pohoria Slovenské rudohorie. Centrum mesta sa nachádza v nadmorskej výške 208 metrov. Podnebie v Košiciach je mierne teplé s priemernými teplotami 19° C v júli a - 3° C v januári.
                  Output:
                  Pueblo lie down in Kosickej fold in wide valley rivers Hornad, ohranicene west spur mountain range Slovak rudohorie. Downtown myself find in nadmorskej altitude 208 metre. Climate in Kosiciach is little by little warm by your leave average temperature 19° C in July and - 3° C in January.

                  Now, here is a properly formed Slovak passage, and you get some goofy output.
                  Input:
                  Po otvorení nového vereného cintorína 1. júna 1889, sa prestalo pochovávať na starom židovskom cintoríne, ktorý bol otvorený v roku 1844. Zbytky hrobov a náhrobných kameňov sa tam zachovali do dnešných dní.
                  Output:
                  For unreserved new believe graveyard 1. June 1889, myself stop pochovavat on old Jewy graveyard, which receive in year 1844. Relics grave and gravestone stones myself there holdback to nowaday dni.

                  And here is the manually formed English version of the above, but you get some goofy Slovak.
                  Input:
                  When new municipal cemetery was open on June 1, 1889 the burials at old Jewish Cemetery were terminated. Old cemetery started to serve Jewish community in 1844. Remainders of some tombs and tombstones stayed preserved until now.
                  Output:
                  Keï nový mestský cmiter bolo otvorený na jún 1, 1889 pohreby v starý židovský cmiter by zakonèené. Starý cintorín štartoval slúži židovské spoloèenstvo v 1844. Moderný antikvariát nejakej hrobky a náhrobný kameò zostal konzervovaný až kým teraz.

                  Bill Tarkulich

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 30 6:51 AM
                    I worked for Wang for a decade. I will write you privately.
                    Bill