Re: Adoption of surname

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2000
      The basic assumption I am making, at least until I find some evidence to the
      contrary, is that the rules of feudalism operated in Upper Hungary as
      elsewhere in Christendom. The terms "serf" and "peasant" are technical
      words that describe very particular and quite distinctive states of life. I
      am assuming that when they are used about Slovakia, hopefully by people who
      understand the proper usage, they mean essentially the same thing that these
      words mean in Western European history. They do seem to mean the same thing
      when informed people describe, for example, the persistence of serfdom in
      Russia until the 1860's.

      I have lent out my favorite book on this subject, but I think it was _Europe
      and the Faith_, 1920, by the famous English writer Hilaire Belloc. He
      describes the transition in Europe, from the Roman Empire until modern
      times, from chattel slavery through serfdom through the peasant system
      through yeomanry. It's a fascinating book and explains many details about
      these different social arrangements and their economic implications.

      Belloc wrote about himself:
      "When I am dead, I hope it may be said:
      'His sins were scarlet, but his books were read.'"

      You may also want to check out his well-known _A Bad Child's Book of Beasts"
      which includes such gems as

      THE HIPPOPOTAMUS

      I shoot the Hippopotamus
      with bullets made of platinum,