Re: Kalman - Narcis - Goldinak families

  • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2000
      Hi Ray! Farkasovce is now Vlkova, just about 10 km south of Kezmarok in
      former Spis county. Tvarozna (formerly called Durand) is about 5 km
      northeast of Vlkova. Kezmarok was probably the head of the local district
      (the next level below a county). "Durand, Szepes Megye, Hungary" means
      Tvarozna, Spis County, Hungary, so all this fits together perfectly!

      "Bobrov, Oravska Zupa" means Bobrov in Orava county, which is on the other
      (western) side of the Tatra mountains from Spis county. Bobrov is on the
      northern shore of the large body of water there, east of Namestovo, and
      very close to the Polish border.

      Joe Armata
      joe@...

      >I am searching for my grandparents relatives. I have a baptismal
      certificate for Frank Kalman. He was born 10-10-1884 and baptized
      10-13-1884. His name was listed as Franciscus and his parents as
      Franciscus Kalman from Farkasovce (possibly Falkusovce) and Maria Narcis
      from Tvarozna. Their address as Tvarozna No. 101. The godparents were
      Josephus and Catherina Narcis. This took place in the catholic church in
      Tvarozna, slovakia, county of Kezmarok. My grandfather listed on his USA
      citizenship papers that his last foreign address was Durand, Szapes, Megyn,
      Hungary. He emigrated to the USA from Bremen, Germany aboard the vessel
      Barbarosa on 2-16-1905.
      >On his application he listed his wife, Sophie Goldinak Kalman, as being
      born in Bohemia. But on the back he listed her birthplace as Bobrov,
      Orawski (spelling?), Zupa,Czechoslovakia. We know that Czechoslovakia
      wasn't a country when she was born on 5-15-1888. She came to Chicago on
      6-8-1904. She followed a brother, John, and she was later followed by a
      sister, Justine, and a brother, Andrew. She had a son, Joseph, in the old
      country, but he stayed behind and was raised by her mother. He came to the
      USA as a teenager to live with them. No idea if she was married before,
      what his last name may have been. Rather than take the name of Kalman, he
      changed his name to Colman.