Re: Permanent Films

  • Raymond Doperak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2000
      At 04:42 PM 1/21/00 -0600, you wrote:
      >From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
      >

      >The only way a film is on long term (called permanent) loan is if
      >someone has paid for it 3 times (order, renew, permanent ). SLC is sort
      >of discouraging this now tho no one can -prevent - you from doing it.
      -----------------------
      Just as a follow-up to Maura's comment, my cousin in Pittsburgh was told by
      his FHC that they will no longer accept long-term storage. When I mentioned
      this to the chief volunteer at the Philadelphia FHC, he didn't know of any
      policy to stop long-term storage. In fact, he said he has another empty
      room that he could convert to long-term storage if necessary.
      Ray Doperak, Philadelphia
    • Maura Petzolt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2000
        Another follow up on this.... as a volunteer at my FHC I have seen the
        memos on this, and SLC is NOT asking any FHC to discontinue the process
        of allowing permanent films. They were asking that films not used for a
        length of time be returned to SLC ( as due to the boom in genealogy they
        are not making multiple copies of films anymore in case someone orders a
        copy, when a little used film is ordered they will just wait for a copy
        already made to be sent back or make a copy from the master.... one
        reason it is taking longer to get films from SLC lately).

        It is up to each FHC to set it's policies, but nowhere is it said by SLC
        to discontinue permanent loans. I have a friend in Atlanta who nicely
        fought them on this when they "were not going to allow permanent loans
        anymore", and got SLC to tell them that Atlanta could NOT prevent a
        patron from keeping a film on permanent loan.

        If you know of anyone who is having this problem at their FHC, they need
        to write a letter to the Director of that FHC and copy it to the stake
        president of the ward that houses the FHC. Tell them SLC does indeed
        still allow permanent loans, and that they would like reconsideration of
        this. If need be, there is an 800 number to SLC that anyone can call,
        and they can talk to someone there about it , which is what my friend in
        Atlanta had to do.

        But be nice about it, the FHC just may have misunderstood the memo.

        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching