Re: [S-R] Introduction

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14, 2004
      Welcome!
      Read this http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm first. If you still have questions, do let us know and we will continue the discussion.
      Bill

    • sevilleb@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14, 2004
        I browsed through this site. It certainly is one I have not seen before and will take more time with in the next few days. THANKS for sending me there.

        Barbara
      • treimer@nycap.rr.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
          Kris,

          Welcome--my ancestors are from Eisdorf and Zipser Bela, and I have tons of Johann's and Susanna's, and often with the same family name, too. Without the house numbers in the parish records, I'd go nuts.

          Check my Carpathian German webpage. We just had our meeting in Philadelphia. We have many Loisch, Breyer etc attending.

          http://www.geocities.com/ycrtmr/

          Thomas

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
            Hello Thomas,

            wow it was so cool to check out this website.

            I found the name 'Rev. Jakob Bauer' on this website - I guess he was the
            Reverend of my grandparents - he was more than 100 years old before he died
            because of a car accident. :-)

            I was in Slowakia between 21st and 28th of October 2004 and I visited
            Schmiedshau / Tuzina (Hauerland) where my grandparents (both with the
            surname GROSS) came from. I have some nice photos of Slowakia (we visited
            Bratislava, Piestany, Trencin, Stary Smokovec, Spissky Hrad (Zips), Banska
            Bystrica, Nitra ..).

            My grandmother (today she is 75 years old) told me some stories about the
            time of her youth and the years before they have to leave. She told me also
            about how she helped her father and other german men from Schmiedshau that
            they could escape from the murder (she told me this "My mum told me to run
            to the men who went into the forest to hide themselves and to tell them that
            every man who will be found in the forest would be killed. I ran so fast I
            never ran before and after. I saw the partisans on the other side of our
            town, they wanted to build a circle round us and I ran faster than ever . I
            found them - my father was with them - and we were back in town just some
            minutes before the first partisans come to search for the men" - wow - I
            wondered that the partisans couldn't find my great-grandfather, my
            grandmother told them only 'I don't know where my dad is' .. although he
            hides himself under the hay and prays to god and she knows it very well.)

            I hope to hear more - also some nice - stories from her on Christmas when I
            visit her again. And then I hope to visit Schmiedshau again in 2005 to start
            my research there in the birth records etc. This time it was only a first
            short visit get to know the country and anything else.

            Bye,

            Daniela

            (Germany)

            _____

            Check my Carpathian German webpage. We just had our meeting in Philadelphia.
            We have many Loisch, Breyer etc attending.

            http://www.geocities.com/ycrtmr/

            Thomas

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2005
              Welcome! I am sure that we are all very pleased to have you join us and
              that we will be happy to offer what help we can. What a fascinating story!

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2, 2005
                Thank you for your information, I already found a lot about parts of the family. My task now seem to be to discover the hidden branches of the Burian family in Slovakia as well as do the opposite direction research in Transsylvania. Hopefully the two directions will meet somewhere around year 1750 when it seems that two Burian brothers moved from Westernmost Hungary to it easternmost ends. It is a challenging question and I hope that by the end of this year I'll be able to do some on the spot researches in Transsylvania. I plan to visit Slovakia next spring or summer.

                The Burian mailing list was initiated by Mr. Gerhard Burian from Austria who has quite an informative webpage also on the topic.

                Yes, indeed, my problem is precisely that there are LOTS of Burians and it is quite difficult to make some order among them. I also discovered a Burian of Rajecz supposedly living in the US, I wrote him a mail but I received no answer by this time.

                Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...> escribió:
                There is extensive information on this family in the nobility literature
                including genealogies and coats of arms. There is also a RootsWeb mail list
                for the family: BURIAN-L@... which contains results of a great deal
                of research.

                Janet

                ---------------------------------

              • Richard D. Custer
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2006
                  Hello Sarah,
                  It sounds pretty clear to me that your great-grandparents were Rusyns. Szerencsfavla, now Shchastlyve / Serenchovtsi near Mukachevo in the Zakarpatska oblast of Ukraine, was and is a majority-Rusyn ("Ruthenian") village. If your family attended an Orthodox church in West Virginia (I'm guessing either in Elkhorn, Weirton, or Morgantown, all of which were almost entirely-Rusyn congregations), why would you think they were Jewish?

                  Carpatho-Rusyn ethnic/genealogy resources on the Web:

                  www.carpatho-rusyn.org
                  www.c-rs.org
                  www.rusyn.org

                  There's many more but those will give you an excellent and long list of reading / reference materials.
                  Good luck!

                  RDC

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2006
                    Hello Sarah,
                    It sounds pretty clear to me that your great-grandparents were Rusyns.
                    Szerencsfavla, now Shchastlyve / Serenchovtsi near Mukachevo in the
                    Zakarpatska oblast of Ukraine, was and is a majority-Rusyn ("Ruthenian")
                    village. If your family attended an Orthodox church in West Virginia (I'm
                    guessing either in Elkhorn, Weirton, or Morgantown, all of which were almost
                    entirely-Rusyn congregations), why would you think they were Jewish?

                    (I have seen Kozar and Zuber in other contexts and they are definitely Rusyn
                    surnames.)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                      Because my historian friend said there was such a significant Jewish population in subCarpathian Ruthenia at that time, I had done a lot of looking around on JewishGen (lists of business owners, lists of ghetto occupants, various other things) and saw both Kozar and Zuber there. And also it seemed strange to me that the great-grandparents would send their children to church, but did not attend themselves. I know that some Jews who immigrated chose not to maintain their religion, so I thought that might have been possible with my great-grandparents. It was just a guess...

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                        Thank you Richard, for the help. Now I understand why the Szerencs I had was the wrong one... So I assume this list, then, is not appropriate to my search, because the town is now in Ukraine and because the language was Ruthenian. It is so funny to find this out, after hearing for so long that the families were "from Slovakia".
                        Sarah Heidt

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                          Sarah,

                          I happily disagree when you assume this is the wrong forum. You
                          came to the right forum and recieved a solid answer, so this list
                          proved to be a very good start. Keep checking for at least another
                          week or so and see if anyone else comes up with more information.
                          We do not limit our interests every time the borders shift.

                          I suggest you search for the "Rusyns" forum here on Yahoo Groups and
                          make some inquiries there as well.

                          Ron

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Heidt" <Sarah@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you Richard, for the help. Now I understand why the
                          Szerencs I had was the wrong one... So I assume this list, then, is
                          not appropriate to my search, because the town is now in Ukraine and
                          because the language was Ruthenian. It is so funny to find this
                          out, after hearing for so long that the families were "from
                          Slovakia".
                          > Sarah Heidt

                          6/30/2006

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                            Sarah,
                            If it were my family, I'd cut them some slack. The state of "Slovakia" has
                            only been in use, in it's present form since 1993. Between the world wars,
                            the first republic of Czechoslovakia incorporated Subcarpathia Rus, which of
                            course included Shchastlyve / Serenchovtsi. It's quite possible that was
                            the nation that was referred to. With the end of WWII, the entire region
                            became pretty much "locked down" from communication with the west. No
                            wonder confusion and speculation abounded.

                            I would agree with your conclusion that this list will not be productive in
                            your search. Most genealogy groups are organized geographically.
                            The ethnic minority Rusyn (which I also am one) does, to our relief, have a
                            number of useful groups which promulgate information on the villages. Use
                            both the cultural and geographic lists to get a handle on your research.

                            In addition to Rich's suggestions, consider the group http://cgsi.org/

                            Also,
                            http://tinyurl.com/kvu2m at Ancestry.
                            http://infoukes.com/lists/
                            http://www.feefhs.org/home.html

                            I have spent a small amount of time researching in Ukraine. It is not easy,
                            since the government has erected many impediments to access and the language
                            is a challenge.

                            Good Luck,

                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                              >>> after hearing for so long that the families were "from Slovakia"<<<

                              >IF< the family was from Slovakia, >THEN< you have the wrong instance
                              of Szerencs and you want the one in Zemplen Megye.

                              You are able to research the church records of Szerencs, Zemplen
                              Megye, at your nearest LDS Family History Center. That may help you to
                              verify which location is correct.
                            • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 20, 2006
                                Zuber is also a German family name, and there were Germans living in
                                the Karpatho-Ukraine as well.

                                Thomas