Kalman - Narcis - Goldinak families

  • Tarzantu2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2000
      I am searching for my grandparents relatives. I have a baptismal certificate for Frank Kalman. He was born 10-10-1884 and baptized 10-13-1884. His name was listed as Franciscus and his parents as Franciscus Kalman from Farkasovce (possibly Falkusovce) and Maria Narcis from Tvarozna. Their address as Tvarozna No. 101. The godparents were Josephus and Catherina Narcis. This took place in the catholic church in Tvarozna, slovakia, county of Kezmarok. My grandfather listed on his USA citizenship papers that his last foreign address was Durand, Szapes, Megyn, Hungary. He emigrated to the USA from Bremen, Germany aboard the vessel Barbarosa on 2-16-1905.
      On his application he listed his wife, Sophie Goldinak Kalman, as being born in Bohemia. But on the back he listed her birthplace as Bobrov, Orawski (spelling?), Zupa,Czechoslovakia. We know that Czechoslovakia wasn't a country when she was born on 5-15-1888. She came to Chicago on 6-8-1904. She followed a brother, John, and she was later followed by a sister, Justine, and a brother, Andrew. She had a son, Joseph, in the old country, but he stayed behind and was raised by her mother. He came to the USA as a teenager to live with them. No idea if she was married before, what his last name may have been. Rather than take the name of Kalman, he changed his name to Colman.

      Thanks for any help. Ray Slack
    • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2000
        Hi Ray! Farkasovce is now Vlkova, just about 10 km south of Kezmarok in
        former Spis county. Tvarozna (formerly called Durand) is about 5 km
        northeast of Vlkova. Kezmarok was probably the head of the local district
        (the next level below a county). "Durand, Szepes Megye, Hungary" means
        Tvarozna, Spis County, Hungary, so all this fits together perfectly!

        "Bobrov, Oravska Zupa" means Bobrov in Orava county, which is on the other
        (western) side of the Tatra mountains from Spis county. Bobrov is on the
        northern shore of the large body of water there, east of Namestovo, and
        very close to the Polish border.

        Joe Armata
        joe@...