Re: CSEJKA

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
      > So far as I know, the family I am looking for always spelled it as "Csejk=
      a",
      > although I would not be surprised to find variant spellings. I am inform=
      ed
      > that this is the Hungarian spelling of Cejka, and I don't know why my fam=
      ily
      > spelled it this way. It seems that I don't actually know much. ANY help=

      > appreciated.
      >
      > Elizabeth

      Elizabeth

      In Hungarian Csejka was the correct surname spelling.
      Archaic letter 'ch' was 'cs' in modern spelling and pron. ch.
      Archaic letter 'cz' was 'c' in modern spelling and pron. ts.

      In Slovak the surname might be spelled with diacritical letter 'c^' pron. c=
      h.
      In Slavic languages and Magyar the letter j is pron. y, hence pron.
      Cheyka.

      Did you look at EIR ?

      In 1905, a Yosef [József (H) Josef (Sk) Joseph (E)] Csejka, age 25,
      emigrated to US with a Pauline Csejka , age 8 yrs 6 mos.
      There is no image copy of manifest so don't know where they went.
      Their Last Residence had been Galgócz, Galgóc Nyitra megye (county),
      Hungary which is now Hlohovec and located near Trnava in western Slovakia.=

      What did surnames say ?

      How are you ? English

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak