Re: [S-R] CSEJKA

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
      I know where they came from, and when. What I am now trying to do is find
      out where one branch disappeared to, after they got here. I am missing Yosef
      (Joseph) Csejka, and his whole family. They had lived for a time on a farm in
      or near Marydel, MD (according to the caption on a picture I have) sometime
      around the 1920's - 40's. The only one I could find on the census was my ggf,
      Johann (John), and that only because I knew his address. I have absolutely no
      idea what Ancestry's transcriber's thought the name was, as it was very clearly
      spelled correctly. This farm supposedly belonged to my gggf, Anton, who is
      buried in Saddle Brook, NJ.

      The changing of names makes things complicated, but everyone I know in the
      family at least spells the surname the same.

      Elizabeth

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
        > So far as I know, the family I am looking for always spelled it as "Csejk=
        a",
        > although I would not be surprised to find variant spellings. I am inform=
        ed
        > that this is the Hungarian spelling of Cejka, and I don't know why my fam=
        ily
        > spelled it this way. It seems that I don't actually know much. ANY help=

        > appreciated.
        >
        > Elizabeth

        Elizabeth

        In Hungarian Csejka was the correct surname spelling.
        Archaic letter 'ch' was 'cs' in modern spelling and pron. ch.
        Archaic letter 'cz' was 'c' in modern spelling and pron. ts.

        In Slovak the surname might be spelled with diacritical letter 'c^' pron. c=
        h.
        In Slavic languages and Magyar the letter j is pron. y, hence pron.
        Cheyka.

        Did you look at EIR ?

        In 1905, a Yosef [József (H) Josef (Sk) Joseph (E)] Csejka, age 25,
        emigrated to US with a Pauline Csejka , age 8 yrs 6 mos.
        There is no image copy of manifest so don't know where they went.
        Their Last Residence had been Galgócz, Galgóc Nyitra megye (county),
        Hungary which is now Hlohovec and located near Trnava in western Slovakia.=

        What did surnames say ?

        How are you ? English

        Hogy Van ? Hungarian

        Ako sa más^ ? Slovak