Re: [S-R] CSEJKA

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
      Elizabeth,
      There are many way to find out about your family. We can give you
      lots of specific advice, but first, we'll need to know what you
      already have accomplished and what you know.
      Specifically: What documents have you already examined and what info
      have you discovered? What spelling variants do you have of first and
      last name? Estimated year of arrival? Estimated year of birth?
      Religion? Language? where and when married? names/details of other
      relatives who may have immigrated? What country/region/village did
      they come from?

      Have you sought info from: Immigration records? Ellis Island Web
      site? Mormons? Census? Church records? Foreign records (phone,
      etc.) Foreign correspondence passed down - letters, envelopes, etc.?

      Where we are going, is that the BEST and most productive way to find
      out more about your ancestors is to discover their place of origin,
      since most records are organized that way. There are many ways to
      uncover this, even knowing very little. In fact, most of us, myself
      included started with VERY little information and no longer had our
      ancestors around to ask.

      We should be able to determine the correct spelling also and
      eventually you should be able to even write letters to potential
      cousins. The general strategy is described here
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm

      Give us as much as you know in answer to the above questions and we
      can get you looking in the correct direction.

      Until then, we'll wait for your reply,

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
      > So far as I know, the family I am looking for always spelled it
      as "Csejka",
      > although I would not be surprised to find variant spellings. I am
      informed
      > that this is the Hungarian spelling of Cejka, and I don't know why
      my family
      > spelled it this way. It seems that I don't actually know much.
      ANY help

    • EMSCRS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
        I know where they came from, and when. What I am now trying to do is find
        out where one branch disappeared to, after they got here. I am missing Yosef
        (Joseph) Csejka, and his whole family. They had lived for a time on a farm in
        or near Marydel, MD (according to the caption on a picture I have) sometime
        around the 1920's - 40's. The only one I could find on the census was my ggf,
        Johann (John), and that only because I knew his address. I have absolutely no
        idea what Ancestry's transcriber's thought the name was, as it was very clearly
        spelled correctly. This farm supposedly belonged to my gggf, Anton, who is
        buried in Saddle Brook, NJ.

        The changing of names makes things complicated, but everyone I know in the
        family at least spells the surname the same.

        Elizabeth

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
          > So far as I know, the family I am looking for always spelled it as "Csejk=
          a",
          > although I would not be surprised to find variant spellings. I am inform=
          ed
          > that this is the Hungarian spelling of Cejka, and I don't know why my fam=
          ily
          > spelled it this way. It seems that I don't actually know much. ANY help=

          > appreciated.
          >
          > Elizabeth

          Elizabeth

          In Hungarian Csejka was the correct surname spelling.
          Archaic letter 'ch' was 'cs' in modern spelling and pron. ch.
          Archaic letter 'cz' was 'c' in modern spelling and pron. ts.

          In Slovak the surname might be spelled with diacritical letter 'c^' pron. c=
          h.
          In Slavic languages and Magyar the letter j is pron. y, hence pron.
          Cheyka.

          Did you look at EIR ?

          In 1905, a Yosef [József (H) Josef (Sk) Joseph (E)] Csejka, age 25,
          emigrated to US with a Pauline Csejka , age 8 yrs 6 mos.
          There is no image copy of manifest so don't know where they went.
          Their Last Residence had been Galgócz, Galgóc Nyitra megye (county),
          Hungary which is now Hlohovec and located near Trnava in western Slovakia.=

          What did surnames say ?

          How are you ? English

          Hogy Van ? Hungarian

          Ako sa más^ ? Slovak