Re: [S-R] CSEJKA

  • Chaz Kachmar
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
      I know Mike Cheselka. He lives in Daytona.
      Originally from Cleveland.

      Let me know if this is a spelling that you are
      interested in and I will get you in touch with him.

      Chaz Kachmar

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • EMSCRS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
        So far as I know, the family I am looking for always spelled it as "Csejka",
        although I would not be surprised to find variant spellings. I am informed
        that this is the Hungarian spelling of Cejka, and I don't know why my family
        spelled it this way. It seems that I don't actually know much. ANY help
        appreciated.

        Elizabeth

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
          Elizabeth,
          There are many way to find out about your family. We can give you
          lots of specific advice, but first, we'll need to know what you
          already have accomplished and what you know.
          Specifically: What documents have you already examined and what info
          have you discovered? What spelling variants do you have of first and
          last name? Estimated year of arrival? Estimated year of birth?
          Religion? Language? where and when married? names/details of other
          relatives who may have immigrated? What country/region/village did
          they come from?

          Have you sought info from: Immigration records? Ellis Island Web
          site? Mormons? Census? Church records? Foreign records (phone,
          etc.) Foreign correspondence passed down - letters, envelopes, etc.?

          Where we are going, is that the BEST and most productive way to find
          out more about your ancestors is to discover their place of origin,
          since most records are organized that way. There are many ways to
          uncover this, even knowing very little. In fact, most of us, myself
          included started with VERY little information and no longer had our
          ancestors around to ask.

          We should be able to determine the correct spelling also and
          eventually you should be able to even write letters to potential
          cousins. The general strategy is described here
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm

          Give us as much as you know in answer to the above questions and we
          can get you looking in the correct direction.

          Until then, we'll wait for your reply,

        • EMSCRS@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
            I know where they came from, and when. What I am now trying to do is find
            out where one branch disappeared to, after they got here. I am missing Yosef
            (Joseph) Csejka, and his whole family. They had lived for a time on a farm in
            or near Marydel, MD (according to the caption on a picture I have) sometime
            around the 1920's - 40's. The only one I could find on the census was my ggf,
            Johann (John), and that only because I knew his address. I have absolutely no
            idea what Ancestry's transcriber's thought the name was, as it was very clearly
            spelled correctly. This farm supposedly belonged to my gggf, Anton, who is
            buried in Saddle Brook, NJ.

            The changing of names makes things complicated, but everyone I know in the
            family at least spells the surname the same.

            Elizabeth

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
              > So far as I know, the family I am looking for always spelled it as "Csejk=
              a",
              > although I would not be surprised to find variant spellings. I am inform=
              ed
              > that this is the Hungarian spelling of Cejka, and I don't know why my fam=
              ily
              > spelled it this way. It seems that I don't actually know much. ANY help=

              > appreciated.
              >
              > Elizabeth

              Elizabeth

              In Hungarian Csejka was the correct surname spelling.
              Archaic letter 'ch' was 'cs' in modern spelling and pron. ch.
              Archaic letter 'cz' was 'c' in modern spelling and pron. ts.

              In Slovak the surname might be spelled with diacritical letter 'c^' pron. c=
              h.
              In Slavic languages and Magyar the letter j is pron. y, hence pron.
              Cheyka.

              Did you look at EIR ?

              In 1905, a Yosef [József (H) Josef (Sk) Joseph (E)] Csejka, age 25,
              emigrated to US with a Pauline Csejka , age 8 yrs 6 mos.
              There is no image copy of manifest so don't know where they went.
              Their Last Residence had been Galgócz, Galgóc Nyitra megye (county),
              Hungary which is now Hlohovec and located near Trnava in western Slovakia.=

              What did surnames say ?

              How are you ? English

              Hogy Van ? Hungarian

              Ako sa más^ ? Slovak