RE: [S-R] Heraldry

  • Edward Hornick Jr
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2004
      I see what you mean the unicorn is coming out of the helmet on top of the coat of arms , I have pictures of a knight that has a unicorn head mounted on his helmet Gilbert De Lannoy 15 Century I was wondering if there is a knight with an issuing unicorn on the top of his helmet?
      The other part is a description of my coat of arm shied 4 parts with the issuing unicorns in two areas ,same unicorn in areas
      I was wondering if other families have same unicorn in there coat of arms ,and where to find them ?I found fighting shields that have same pictures but not where the design was first started and first coat of arms ?
      thanks ED

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2004
        Dear Ed,
        According to the website http://www.digiserve.com/heraldry/symbols.htm, the
        unicorn represented "extreme courage." However, I think when families chose
        a coat of arms they pretty much put on it what they wanted, as long as it
        didn't duplicate another family's. So there is no real "history" of a
        particular charge. Most of the discussions of heraldry focus on British
        coats of arms, including the one above, and I'm not sure you can make a
        translation to the heraldry of other countries.
        While unicorns are not nearly as common as, say, lions, they are not all
        that rare. Flipping through my printout of Hungarian coats of arms in the
        Nagy Ivan book (database), I saw several of them.
        You don't give the source of your Hornick coat of arms, but I found a Hornik
        family in Nagy Ivan. I don't know if it is the same family, but from what I
        could make out (I don't really read Hungarian), their coat of arms contained
        a lion and a black eagle. The black eagle was especially associated with
        Austria.
        There are many interesting websites dealing with heraldry. I think you
        would enjoy reading more about the subject. There is an especially
        interesting one about Hungarian heraldry at
        http://www.heraldica.org/topics/national/hungary.htm.
        Have fun.
        Janet
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2004
          I located a German coat of arms for Hornig at
          http://www.heraldry.jerasys.com/Germany/Hornig_t.jpg. This one has your horn
          on it, but no unicorn.
          Janet
        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2004
          • Edward Hornick Jr
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2004
              Is there away to put a picture on this site so you can see my coat of arms ? the coat of arms that you sent me is not right mine has unicorns on rear legs standing with gold horn on head
              Thanks ED

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11, 2004
                Thank you this is the unicorn I am looking for
                Now I can start checking out some of the history of this Unicorn symbol
                Thanks ED

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11, 2004
                  My coat of Arms was found in theRietstap Armorial General

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 12, 2004
                    You will see either "files" or "photos" menu pic in the left hand column. Upload the file there, announce it to the group. Anyone else on the list with a Yahoo account will be able to see it.
                    Bill Tarkulich