Location question

  • Jim M.
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2004
      When trying to get info from my Dad he told me that his father came from
      LOKCA,ORAVA. But in looking at the passenger manifest from Ellis Island it
      lists him as coming from LOKOZA.

      Since I don't speak slovak, is it possible the places sounded alike to my
      Dad ?

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 11, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Jim M." <bdgranpa@v...> wrote:
        > When trying to get info from my Dad he told me that his father came from
        > LOKCA,ORAVA. But in looking at the passenger manifest from Ellis Island =
        it
        > lists him as coming from LOKOZA.
        >
        > Since I don't speak slovak, is it possible the places sounded alike to my=

        > Dad ?

        ahoj JIm

        Same place. As often posted in this list, EIR ship manifests are full of mi=
        sspelled
        names or poor transcribing by "volunteers" who spoke no foreign languages.=

        Formerly Lokcza/Lokca/Lókca (H) A'rava megye (county), Hungary; later
        Lokca Orava z^upa (county), Slovakia.
        The term z^upa or Stolice was used 1920-1923 in Slovakia when it was
        replaced by term okres (district)

        Happy Easter

        Festa Paschalia (Latin)

        Vesely' Vel'ká noc (Slovak)
        Boldog Húsvét ünnepeket (Hungarian)
        B e c e J| |/| X C B R T (Cyrillic)
        V e s e l y kh S v ia t Ukrainian
        Wesolych Swiat (Polish)
        Velika noc^ praznike (Slovene)
        Vesele Velikonoce (Czech)
        Sretun Uskrs (Croatian)
        Fröhe Ostern (German)
        Joyeuses Pâques (French)
        Buona Pasqua (Italian)
        Felices Pascuas (Spanish)
        Boa Pascoa (Portuguese)

        Frank K
      • Jim M.
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 11, 2004
          thanks Frank. Happy Easter to you too. Don't let the Easter bunny get you
          :)

          _____

          > When trying to get info from my Dad he told me that his father came from
          > LOKCA,ORAVA. But in looking at the passenger manifest from Ellis Island =

          it
          > lists him as coming from LOKOZA.
          >
          > Since I don't speak slovak, is it possible the places sounded alike to my=

          > Dad ?

          ahoj JIm

          Same place. As often posted in this list, EIR ship manifests are full of mi=

          sspelled
          names or poor transcribing by "volunteers" who spoke no foreign languages.=

          Formerly Lokcza/Lokca/Lókca (H) A'rava megye (county), Hungary; later
          Lokca Orava z^upa (county), Slovakia.
          The term z^upa or Stolice was used 1920-1923 in Slovakia when it was
          replaced by term okres (district)

          Happy Easter

          Festa Paschalia (Latin)

          Vesely' Vel'ká noc (Slovak)
          Boldog Húsvét ünnepeket (Hungarian)
          B e c e J| |/| X C B R T (Cyrillic)
          V e s e l y kh S v ia t Ukrainian
          Wesolych Swiat (Polish)
          Velika noc^ praznike (Slovene)
          Vesele Velikonoce (Czech)
          Sretun Uskrs (Croatian)
          Fröhe Ostern (German)
          Joyeuses Pâques (French)
          Buona Pasqua (Italian)
          Felices Pascuas (Spanish)
          Boa Pascoa (Portuguese)

          Frank K

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
            For the first time in my life, the Easter bunny was mean to me. She said I didn't need any candy :(
            bt

            > From: "Jim M." <bdgranpa@...>
            > Date: 2004/04/11 Sun AM 11:38:05 CDT
            > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: RE: [S-R] Re: Location question
            >
            > thanks Frank. Happy Easter to you too. Don't let the Easter bunny get you
            > :)
            >
            > _____

          • Jim M.
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
              Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I got a PEANUT BUTTER bunny
              instead of my cHOCOLATE. :( not the same.

              For the first time in my life, the Easter bunny was mean to me. She said I
              didn't need any candy :( bt

              > From: "Jim M." <bdgranpa@...>
              > Date: 2004/04/11 Sun AM 11:38:05 CDT
              > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: RE: [S-R] Re: Location question
              >
              > thanks Frank. Happy Easter to you too. Don't let the Easter bunny
              > get you
              > :)
              >
              > _____

              http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
                The GOOD NEWS is that all Easter candy is 50% off today.
                Bill