Re: [S-R] good morning

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
      It is possible that his place of last residence differed from his place of birth. That could possibly explain the two names.

      What took you to Ukraine? If you use http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm, you will find two likely scenarios, if you search for both villages being nearby - one in Ukraine, the other in today's Belarus, both were in Russia at the time.

      Since most people's ethnicity was judged by the language spoken, I'd be leaning towards Belarus, based only on language (which of course is an unsubstantiated conclusion and may very well be in error.)

      I'd finally suggest that you'll find better authorities on the matter if you go to a Russian, Ukraine or Belarus genealogy group.
      Was he the only one of family or friends to come from there? Many times searching for other relatives or villagers can be useful in providing more clues.

      Here is an interesting match:
      1 Oleksiuk,Simon Czerniatin, Russia 1913 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      2 Oniscznk,Anton Czerniatin, Russia 1912 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

      Use http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/ellisshort.html to search for other villagers:
      Podosk
      Baran,Hendrik Podosk 1899 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      2 Belak,Franka Podosk, Hungary 1913 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      3 Bodwaz,Schwien Podosk, Russia 1909 35 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      4 Cepiola,Josef Podosk Russia 1913 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      5 Fistel,Chaim Podosko 1905 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      6 Glaser,Eduard Podosk, Hungary (USA) 1907 42 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      7 Golowka,Helena Podoska, Austria 1912 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      8 Holvadesak,Boleslaw Podosk, Russia 1912 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      9 Juschinski,Jozef Podosk, Russia 1913 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      10 Korvat,Juraj Podosk 1904 36 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      11 Koseica,Magdalena Podosk 1904 15 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      12 Kozlowski,Stanislaw Podosk Russia 1913 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      13 Sosses,Burech Podosk 1906 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      14 Wilceska,Rosalia Podosk, Russia 1910 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

      1 Kaufman,Riwke Podolsk, Russia 1912 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      2 Niedzelek,Frans Podolske, Russia 1912 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      3 Swerdlow,Lipe Podolsk, Russia 1912 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      4 Swerida,Philip Podolsk, Russia 1912 23 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
      5 Wesslowitz,Schmiel Podolsk Kamwitz, Russia 1912 15 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

      > From: "jojo" <kcsped@...>
      > Date: 2004/04/09 Fri AM 07:47:52 CDT
      > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [S-R] good morning
      >

      > When I recently found my grandfather after looking for many years on the Ellis Island index, I found out that the family had been misguided by some misinformation. .On grandpa's naturalization papers it states that he came from Podosk, Russia (1912) yet on his Ellis island papers states that his village was Czerniatin. When we were there in 1960 we had to fly into Kiev, the village was on a river, was very hilly, and was within 6 at the very most 7 hours driving distance from Kiev, where could this be, Additionally on his declaration of intention states Podolsk, Russia. Any light that anyone could shed on any of this could be greatly appreciated.
      >

      > name: Anton Oniscznk ellis island arrival October 1912
      >
      > thanks
      > Dora

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • jojo
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
        i can not thank you enough for another view, What wonderful information
> [...]

        > From: "jojo" <kcsped@...>
        > Date: 2004/04/09 Fri AM 07:47:52 CDT
        > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [S-R] good morning
        >

        > When I recently found my grandfather after looking for many years on the Ellis Island index, I found out that the family had been misguided by some misinformation. .On grandpa's naturalization papers it states that he came from Podosk, Russia (1912) yet on his Ellis island papers states that his village was Czerniatin. When we were there in 1960 we had to fly into Kiev, the village was on a river, was very hilly, and was within 6 at the very most 7 hours driving distance from Kiev, where could this be, Additionally on his declaration of intention states Podolsk, Russia. Any light that anyone could shed on any of this could be greatly appreciated.
        >

        > name: Anton Oniscznk ellis island arrival October 1912

      • jojo
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
          ps According to the records on Anton, he came to live with his father which was a absolute new piece of information to me.
          I honestly thank you for broadening my search