Re: [S-R] new member

  • kenny.cartman@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2004
      Zuzana,
      I noticed that your e-mail address contains -cik; I'm assumming as part of your last name. I was wondering if you could answer a question I have had about this ending. Is -cik common, or where is this ending most likely to be found? My maiden name was KASARCIK, possibly LOSARCIK prior to my ancestors coming to America. This is the only line in my family that I cannot find where they came from in Slovakia.

      Thanks,
      Allison
    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
        -ik or -cik (-cik is actually two endings: -k plus -ik, which makes
        the -k change to -c) is a common ending, it carries a diminutive
        meaning ("little"), which in surnames can often amount to meaning a
        descendant from somebody. Mihalik or Mihalcik could be read as
        Michael's Little Guy, meaning Michael's son, and eventually
        Mihalik/Mihalcik could become fixed as a surname for that family.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
          Thank you Joe, for that information on -ik. It's my name, and I know so little about it.

          Allison