Re: [S-R] new member

  • WHew536674@cs.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2004
      Hi Mary,

      Welcome to the list. I was in Banska Bystrica very briefly, but what I saw
      was a charming town and I look forward to going back some time soon and spend
      more time there. Do you know Peter and Ludka Hladky and their two sons, Peter
      and Michael? The boys would be around your age.

      Joyce

    • plcandlez@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2004
        Zuzana,

        Welcome back! What villiage in Slovacia did you come from ?

        Julie Johnston

        In a message dated 4/3/2004 3:22:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        zajacik_2000@... writes:
        hi,

        my name is zuzana and i was born in slovakia. i was a member of this group
        before, but i accidentally removed myself, and so i am coming back after a
        while. i am not looking for my ancestors or family, since i know almost all of them
        :). i am here just to be a quiet reader that can offer some help if needed,
        for example with translation or maybe some other stuff. i am currently living
        in united states and am in my sophmore year of college. last summer i was a
        translator for a couple from this list that went to slovakia to look for some
        family. we found two living ladies that were realated to them.

        that's all about me,

        Zuzana

      • kenny.cartman@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2004
          Zuzana,
          I noticed that your e-mail address contains -cik; I'm assumming as part of your last name. I was wondering if you could answer a question I have had about this ending. Is -cik common, or where is this ending most likely to be found? My maiden name was KASARCIK, possibly LOSARCIK prior to my ancestors coming to America. This is the only line in my family that I cannot find where they came from in Slovakia.

          Thanks,
          Allison
        • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
            -ik or -cik (-cik is actually two endings: -k plus -ik, which makes
            the -k change to -c) is a common ending, it carries a diminutive
            meaning ("little"), which in surnames can often amount to meaning a
            descendant from somebody. Mihalik or Mihalcik could be read as
            Michael's Little Guy, meaning Michael's son, and eventually
            Mihalik/Mihalcik could become fixed as a surname for that family.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
              Thank you Joe, for that information on -ik. It's my name, and I know so little about it.

              Allison