My first message

  • Bruce M. Sisko
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hi everyone!
      I've been reading your messages for a couple of months and finally
      took the plunge....my paternal ancestors are Siska's from Zemplen
      Megye (mostly the village of Damocz, now Damoc). I've gone back as
      far as 1774 with reference to a Siska in the village. Along the way,
      I find that I'm probably/possibly related to the following: Horvath,
      Csubak,Brezo, Derszo, Deak, Mitro, and Sirokmann.
      My immediate research has brought me back home, however, and my
      question today is about records for someone who served in the U.S.
      Merchant Marine...a cousin John Siska, b. 1918, died in Edison NJ
      in 1960. Am I correct in assuming that I cannot find him in the SSDI
      because military did not enroll in Social Security? If so, where and
      how can I access records for the Merchant Marine?

      Thanks

      Bruce
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
        Hi Bruce:

        I'm researching MITRO as well -- from the Kolbas, now Brezina area -- I don't have much other than names and dob/dod -- but would be interested in sharing any MITRO info with you.

        Caye

        "Bruce M. Sisko" <bmsisko@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
          What a coincidence, I have been through Brezina at the beginning of March.
          I was coming from Hungary after visiting the FUZER castle where Alzbeta
          Bathory was born. Fuzer is about 5 miles west of Brezina, just over the
          border.I was on my way to Slivnik and Kosice.

          Vladi

          At 07:21 AM 3/31/2004, you wrote:
          >Hi Bruce:
          >
          >I'm researching MITRO as well -- from the Kolbas, now Brezina area -- I
          >don't have much other than names and dob/dod -- but would be interested in
          >sharing any MITRO info with you.
          >

          >Caye
          >

          >"Bruce M. Sisko" <bmsisko@...> wrote:
          >Hi everyone!
          > I've been reading your messages for a couple of months and finally
          >took the plunge....my paternal ancestors are Siska's from Zemplen
          >Megye (mostly the village of Damocz, now Damoc). I've gone back as
          >far as 1774 with reference to a Siska in the village. Along the way,
          >I find that I'm probably/possibly related to the following: Horvath,
          >Csubak,Brezo, Derszo, Deak, Mitro, and Sirokmann.
          > My immediate research has brought me back home, however, and my
          >question today is about records for someone who served in the U.S.
          >Merchant Marine...a cousin John Siska, b. 1918, died in Edison NJ
          >in 1960. Am I correct in assuming that I cannot find him in the SSDI
          >because military did not enroll in Social Security? If so, where and
          >how can I access records for the Merchant Marine?
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Bruce
          >

          >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
          ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

          > *
          > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > *
        • Don Havlicek
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
            Alzbeta BATHORY .. isn't she the reason for the Basilica of the Seven
            Sorrows at Sastin-Straze?
            S'Bohom,
            Don Havlicek

            Vladimir Linder wrote:
            > What a coincidence, I have been through Brezina at the beginning of March.
            > I was coming from Hungary after visiting the FUZER castle where Alzbeta
            > Bathory was born. Fuzer is about 5 miles west of Brezina, just over the
            > border.I was on my way to Slivnik and Kosice.
            >
            > Vladi
            >

            > At 07:21 AM 3/31/2004, you wrote:
            >
            >>Hi Bruce:
            >>
            >>I'm researching MITRO as well -- from the Kolbas, now Brezina area -- I
            >>don't have much other than names and dob/dod -- but would be interested in
            >>sharing any MITRO info with you.
            >>

            >>Caye
            >>

            >>"Bruce M. Sisko" <bmsisko@...> wrote:
            >>Hi everyone!
            >> I've been reading your messages for a couple of months and finally
            >>took the plunge....my paternal ancestors are Siska's from Zemplen
            >>Megye (mostly the village of Damocz, now Damoc). I've gone back as
            >>far as 1774 with reference to a Siska in the village. Along the way,
            >>I find that I'm probably/possibly related to the following: Horvath,
            >>Csubak,Brezo, Derszo, Deak, Mitro, and Sirokmann.
            >> My immediate research has brought me back home, however, and my
            >>question today is about records for someone who served in the U.S.
            >>Merchant Marine...a cousin John Siska, b. 1918, died in Edison NJ
            >>in 1960. Am I correct in assuming that I cannot find him in the SSDI
            >>because military did not enroll in Social Security? If so, where and
            >>how can I access records for the Merchant Marine?
            >>
            >>Thanks
            >>
            >>Bruce
            >>

            >>To unsubscribe from this group, go to
            >><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

            >> *
            >><mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >>
            >> *
            >> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
            >><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
              I don't thionk so. SHe was the blood thirsty countess of CACHTICE.

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
                Wow, I haven't quite gotten to the Basilica of the Seven Sorrows -- but that Alzbeta Bathory sure was an interesting woman -- and when I first began my genealogy, I used to joke . . . "watch . . . I'll bet I'm related to vampires from Transylvania" . . . be careful what you say out loud . . . it could be fact . . . I'm eager to learn more tomorrow -- but I'm off to PreSanctified services now. Fascinating stuff.

                Caye

                Vladimir Linder wrote:
                > What a coincidence, I have been through Brezina at the beginning of March.
                > I was coming from Hungary after visiting the FUZER castle where Alzbeta
                > Bathory was born. Fuzer is about 5 miles west of Brezina, just over the
                > border.I was on my way to Slivnik and Kosice.
                >
                > Vladi
                >

                > At 07:21 AM 3/31/2004, you wrote:
                >
                >>Hi Bruce:
                >>
                >>I'm researching MITRO as well -- from the Kolbas, now Brezina area -- I
                >>don't have much other than names and dob/dod -- but would be interested in
                >>sharing any MITRO info with you.
                >>

                >>Caye
                >>

                >>"Bruce M. Sisko" <bmsisko@...> wrote:
                >>Hi everyone!
                >> I've been reading your messages for a couple of months and finally
                >>took the plunge....my paternal ancestors are Siska's from Zemplen
                >>Megye (mostly the village of Damocz, now Damoc). I've gone back as
                >>far as 1774 with reference to a Siska in the village. Along the way,
                >>I find that I'm probably/possibly related to the following: Horvath,
                >>Csubak,Brezo, Derszo, Deak, Mitro, and Sirokmann.
                >> My immediate research has brought me back home, however, and my
                >>question today is about records for someone who served in the U.S.
                >>Merchant Marine...a cousin John Siska, b. 1918, died in Edison NJ
                >>in 1960. Am I correct in assuming that I cannot find him in the SSDI
                >>because military did not enroll in Social Security? If so, where and
                >>how can I access records for the Merchant Marine?
                >>
                >>Thanks
                >>
                >>Bruce
                >>

                >>To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                >><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

                >> *
                >><mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >>
                >> *
                >> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                >><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
                  In my last issue of the Slovak Heritage Live newsletter I wrote three page
                  article on Alzbeta Bathory that I put together after reading five books on her.

                  I can send free sample issue to anybody in North America while the
                  qualities last, however I have only 20 newsletters left.

                  Vladimir

                  At 02:16 PM 3/31/2004, you wrote:
                  >Wow, I haven't quite gotten to the Basilica of the Seven Sorrows -- but
                  >that Alzbeta Bathory sure was an interesting woman -- and when I first
                  >began my genealogy, I used to joke . . . "watch . . . I'll bet I'm related
                  >to vampires from Transylvania" . . . be careful what you say out loud . .
                  >. it could be fact . . . I'm eager to learn more tomorrow -- but I'm off
                  >to PreSanctified services now. Fascinating stuff.
                  >

                  >Caye
                  >

                  >Don Havlicek <n8de@...> wrote:
                  >Alzbeta BATHORY .. isn't she the reason for the Basilica of the Seven
                  >Sorrows at Sastin-Straze?
                  >S'Bohom,
                  >Don Havlicek
                  >

                  >Vladimir Linder wrote:
                  > > What a coincidence, I have been through Brezina at the beginning of March.
                  > > I was coming from Hungary after visiting the FUZER castle where Alzbeta
                  > > Bathory was born. Fuzer is about 5 miles west of Brezina, just over the
                  > > border.I was on my way to Slivnik and Kosice.
                  > >
                  > > Vladi
                  > >

                  > > At 07:21 AM 3/31/2004, you wrote:
                  > >
                  > >>Hi Bruce:
                  > >>
                  > >>I'm researching MITRO as well -- from the Kolbas, now Brezina area -- I
                  > >>don't have much other than names and dob/dod -- but would be interested in
                  > >>sharing any MITRO info with you.
                  > >>

                  > >>Caye
                  > >>

                  > >>"Bruce M. Sisko" <bmsisko@...> wrote:
                  > >>Hi everyone!
                  > >> I've been reading your messages for a couple of months and finally
                  > >>took the plunge....my paternal ancestors are Siska's from Zemplen
                  > >>Megye (mostly the village of Damocz, now Damoc). I've gone back as
                  > >>far as 1774 with reference to a Siska in the village. Along the way,
                  > >>I find that I'm probably/possibly related to the following: Horvath,
                  > >>Csubak,Brezo, Derszo, Deak, Mitro, and Sirokmann.
                  > >> My immediate research has brought me back home, however, and my
                  > >>question today is about records for someone who served in the U.S.
                  > >>Merchant Marine...a cousin John Siska, b. 1918, died in Edison NJ
                  > >>in 1960. Am I correct in assuming that I cannot find him in the SSDI
                  > >>because military did not enroll in Social Security? If so, where and
                  > >>how can I access records for the Merchant Marine?
                  > >>
                  > >>Thanks
                  > >>
                  > >>Bruce
                • Vladimir Linder
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
                    Come to think of it I will put the article on the net on my CASTLES pages.
                    Should be there in few hours I will mail the link to the list as soon as it
                    is done.

                    Saves me on the postage, but I will still send the newsletters if someone
                    wants.

                    Vladi

                  • Bratgirl54@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
                      What a small world.........I have found through this site living family
                      members (Kuruc, Kurucz, Kusnir) in Brezina and Kocise. I found out a cousin of
                      mine is mayor in village in Brezina.

                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1, 2004
                        Bratgirl --

                        Would you please contact me privately -- I'd like the information on your cousin the Mayor of Brezina, if that's ok with you -- I'm trying to find some history on Brezina. Thanks so much.

                        Caye

                        Bratgirl54@... wrote:
                        What a small world.........I have found through this site living family
                        members (Kuruc, Kurucz, Kusnir) in Brezina and Kocise. I found out a cousin of
                        mine is mayor in village in Brezina.

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT