Name Change

  • Jerry Derfler
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 18, 2000
      My Grandfather, Antony DERFLER, was born in 1885 in,Louny, Bohemia. I
      have a copy of a military booklet on which his name is written Anton
      D�RFLER. Does any one know if the Austria-Hungarian army changed names
      of recruits (Germanized them) during the early 1900's? When my
      Grandfather emigrated to the US in 1909 his name had changed back to
      Anthony Derfler at that time.

      Jerry Derfler
      Topeka, Kansas
    • Dennis and Donna
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
        I return once again to the Pros here at Slovak-Roots. I am seeking a
        direction to follow in searching for the origin of Our Family name being
        changed.

        As I understand it,My Grand Father wishing to have a more American
        sounding name changed his from "Haluska" to "Halusker".

        This I have heard through Family History and the fact that all documents
        I have for My Great Grand Father are for Haluska up to and including his
        Death. My Grand Father's BC also has Haluska as a Surname. At some
        point in time he began using Halusker.

        This could have been done when he recieved his SS# became Employed with
        the Erie Rail Road or some time before he Married My Grand Mother. All
        list Halusker and not Haluska.

        What do you guys think? Could he have done this on his own or could this
        be a legal thing through the courts.

        Charles Halusker Jr. Resided in Garfield NJ at least until 1934 when he
        Married in Cliffside Park.

        How does one begin this search?
      • konekta@nm.psg.sk
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
          I think, this is a strictly family matter and noone will be able to help. I
          also doubt there will be any answer. It happened. That's all.
          But, one can develop all kinds of theories.
          Vladimir

          _____

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
            After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the spelling of this name at least four times. This was done informally...he just started signing his name differently. The various name changes are reflected on various documents including the birth certificates of his children.

            In his case, he was trying to retain the original European pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer to the correct European sound.

            It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
              That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

              I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

              two.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                Agreed. Before the time of Social Security, the notion of "positive
                identification" was laughable by today's standards of photo IDs, bar codes
                and computerized cross reference. Anything was possible.
                Research? Whatever you find. There is no formula on this one.

                Bill

[...]

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • William F Brna
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                  Of course, if he lived in Massachusetts rather than New Jersey, the
                  answer is obvious. That's the way that a final "a" is pronounced, e. g.,
                  Cuba is pronounced Cuber.

                  Bill Brna

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                    Hee! Hee! So True.
                    Be careful when you order a milkshake here: they take it literally...

                    Bill

                    <ddhalusker@...> writes:
                    That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

                    I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

                    two.

                    - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:

                    > After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the
                    spelling of this name at least four times. This was done
                    informally...he just started signing his name differently. The
                    various name changes are reflected on various documents including the
                    birth certificates of his children.

                    > In his case, he was trying to retain the original European
                    pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his
                    name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in
                    English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was
                    refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer
                    to the correct European sound.

                    > It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of
                    course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.

                    > Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I return once again to the Pros here at Slovak-Roots. I am seeking a
                    > direction to follow in searching for the origin of Our Family name
                    being
                    > changed.
                    >
                    > As I understand it,My Grand Father wishing to have a more American
                    > sounding name changed his from "Haluska" to "Halusker".
                    >
                    > This I have heard through Family History and the fact that all
                    documents
                    > I have for My Great Grand Father are for Haluska up to and
                    including his
                    > Death. My Grand Father's BC also has Haluska as a Surname. At some
                    > point in time he began using Halusker.
                    >
                    > This could have been done when he recieved his SS# became Employed
                    with
                    > the Erie Rail Road or some time before he Married My Grand Mother.
                    All
                    > list Halusker and not Haluska.
                    >
                    > What do you guys think? Could he have done this on his own or could
                    this
                    > be a legal thing through the courts.
                    >
                    > Charles Halusker Jr. Resided in Garfield NJ at least until 1934
                    when he
                    > Married in Cliffside Park.
                    >
                    > How does one begin this search?

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                      Right you are. My Klinka relatives show up in the Bridgeport newspaper as "Clinker". You have the right idear, Bill.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 12, 2008
                        http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/databases.html
                        <http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/databases.html>

                        This is a link that was sent me from another board. It is a searchable
                        Data Base from The State of New Jersey.

                        Unfortunatly it did not help me much. I will pass it on anyway . I guess
                        my situation is as posted.

                        Thanks guys! Dennis