Re: Bridgeport

  • Maura Petzolt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2000
      Some ships -did- come directly into Bridgeport. The film # to use to
      find the microfilms of arrivals is on my Hints page, under Other US
      ports.

      My understanding tho is that those arrivals counted for very few of the
      many new residents to Bridgeport. I believe one reason is that so many
      ships came into NY, and larger ones. I have an old newspaper photo
      framed of a schooner bringing lumber from Europe into Bridgeport harbor
      c. 1900 or so. Many times those commercial ships also sold a few spaces
      for passengers, but nothing like the massive ships (and schooners in the
      earlier days) that came into NY and Boston.

      Many smaller US ports had arrivals from Europe. Again, they are listed
      on my Hints page. Much would depend on where the person was going, and
      what ship they could get on that went nearest where they wanted to end
      up.

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching