CSEJKA

  • chaas622
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
      If there are any other CSEJKA's out there, I am looking for you
      (unless, of course, I have already found you!). Seriously, Ancestry
      has given a message board for the Csejka's, so if anyone knows of or
      has any connections to the family, please use it. I am currently
      missing the branch which went to Maryland, Joseph (Yosef) Csejka and
      family, last known to have been living on a farm in or near Marydel
      MD sometime around the 1920's to 1940's.
    • Chaz Kachmar
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
        I know Mike Cheselka. He lives in Daytona.
        Originally from Cleveland.

        Let me know if this is a spelling that you are
        interested in and I will get you in touch with him.

        Chaz Kachmar

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • EMSCRS@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
          So far as I know, the family I am looking for always spelled it as "Csejka",
          although I would not be surprised to find variant spellings. I am informed
          that this is the Hungarian spelling of Cejka, and I don't know why my family
          spelled it this way. It seems that I don't actually know much. ANY help
          appreciated.

          Elizabeth

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
            Elizabeth,
            There are many way to find out about your family. We can give you
            lots of specific advice, but first, we'll need to know what you
            already have accomplished and what you know.
            Specifically: What documents have you already examined and what info
            have you discovered? What spelling variants do you have of first and
            last name? Estimated year of arrival? Estimated year of birth?
            Religion? Language? where and when married? names/details of other
            relatives who may have immigrated? What country/region/village did
            they come from?

            Have you sought info from: Immigration records? Ellis Island Web
            site? Mormons? Census? Church records? Foreign records (phone,
            etc.) Foreign correspondence passed down - letters, envelopes, etc.?

            Where we are going, is that the BEST and most productive way to find
            out more about your ancestors is to discover their place of origin,
            since most records are organized that way. There are many ways to
            uncover this, even knowing very little. In fact, most of us, myself
            included started with VERY little information and no longer had our
            ancestors around to ask.

            We should be able to determine the correct spelling also and
            eventually you should be able to even write letters to potential
            cousins. The general strategy is described here
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm

            Give us as much as you know in answer to the above questions and we
            can get you looking in the correct direction.

            Until then, we'll wait for your reply,

          • EMSCRS@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
              I know where they came from, and when. What I am now trying to do is find
              out where one branch disappeared to, after they got here. I am missing Yosef
              (Joseph) Csejka, and his whole family. They had lived for a time on a farm in
              or near Marydel, MD (according to the caption on a picture I have) sometime
              around the 1920's - 40's. The only one I could find on the census was my ggf,
              Johann (John), and that only because I knew his address. I have absolutely no
              idea what Ancestry's transcriber's thought the name was, as it was very clearly
              spelled correctly. This farm supposedly belonged to my gggf, Anton, who is
              buried in Saddle Brook, NJ.

              The changing of names makes things complicated, but everyone I know in the
              family at least spells the surname the same.

              Elizabeth

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
                > So far as I know, the family I am looking for always spelled it as "Csejk=
                a",
                > although I would not be surprised to find variant spellings. I am inform=
                ed
                > that this is the Hungarian spelling of Cejka, and I don't know why my fam=
                ily
                > spelled it this way. It seems that I don't actually know much. ANY help=

                > appreciated.
                >
                > Elizabeth

                Elizabeth

                In Hungarian Csejka was the correct surname spelling.
                Archaic letter 'ch' was 'cs' in modern spelling and pron. ch.
                Archaic letter 'cz' was 'c' in modern spelling and pron. ts.

                In Slovak the surname might be spelled with diacritical letter 'c^' pron. c=
                h.
                In Slavic languages and Magyar the letter j is pron. y, hence pron.
                Cheyka.

                Did you look at EIR ?

                In 1905, a Yosef [József (H) Josef (Sk) Joseph (E)] Csejka, age 25,
                emigrated to US with a Pauline Csejka , age 8 yrs 6 mos.
                There is no image copy of manifest so don't know where they went.
                Their Last Residence had been Galgócz, Galgóc Nyitra megye (county),
                Hungary which is now Hlohovec and located near Trnava in western Slovakia.=

                What did surnames say ?

                How are you ? English

                Hogy Van ? Hungarian

                Ako sa más^ ? Slovak