[S-R] Re: Roma?

  • Paula
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2004
      ---Roms were originally from India from what I understand. They
      migrated across Europe and have their own language.
      Does your husband have family in Kansas? I went to school with some
      Kadlecs.
      paula

      In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Jackie and Mike Kadlec"
      <mep@t...> wrote:
      > Hi all, I am curious about this e-mail that was about the Romas. I
      believe
      > they are what we have all been told as Gypsies, correct? What I
      don't
      > understand is the culture involved. Can anyone give me any
      websites or
      > general information of what is going on? I know little about the
      culture in
      > the Czech Republic and Slovakia and would appreciate any
      information that
      > could be given or any websites that could offer some insight. I
      figure that
      > any information might be able to help me with tracking down my
      husband's
      > family and the conditions that they lived in during the 1800's
      while they
      > lived in Bohemia. Thanks.
      >
      > Jackie

      Slovakia's
      > > image abroad", said Aaron Rhodes, IHF Executive Director.
      > >
      > > Discrimination against the Roma population in Slovakia has been
      > > rampant for many years, and was only exacerbated by the new law.
      > > Racial segregation, including depriving Roma from residence
      permits
      > > in a number of Slovak towns and other unofficial measures carried
      > out
      > > by local authorities and apartment owners, have led to the
      > increased
      > > isolation of Roma in slum settlements lacking the minimum modern
      > > utilities. The extremely high unemployment rate, which the Slovak
      > > authorities often put on account of the "Roma culture" and other
      > > stereotypes, is largely due to widespread racial discrimination,
      > with
      > > e.g. local employment offices accepting to post job announcements
      > > stating that Roma would not be considered. The practice of
      > > segregating Roma pupils in special neighbourhood schools or
      placing
      > > them in schools for children with developmental disabilities
      > remains
      > > a burning issue raised regularly by the European Roma Rights
      > Centre,
      > > an IHF cooperating organisation.
      > >
      > > Concerned about reports of abuse committed by the large police
      and
      > > military forces deployed in the context of the February riots,
      the
      > > IHF and the SHC are calling upon the state to carry out proper,
      > > independent investigations into these abuses. The case of the
      death
      > > of Radoslav Puky is of particular concern for both organisations,
      > > which are urging the authorities to carry out proper
      investigations
      > > into the circumstances of the death and to establish an
      independent
      > > committee in charge of the civil supervision of the investigative
      > > results.
      > >
      > > Urgent steps must be undertaken by the authorities to address the
      > > increasing intolerance within the majority Slovak population
      > towards
      > > Roma people.
      > >

      > > For more information:
      > > Aaron Rhodes, IHF Executive Director: +43-1-408 88 22 or +43-676-
      > 635
      > > 6612
      > > Ingrid Baumannova, SHC Executive Director: +421-2-5296 8875
      > > Henriette Schroeder, IHF Press Officer: +43-676-725 4829

      email to
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Jackie and Mike Kadlec
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 2004
        Hi Paula, thanks for the input on the Roms. I think that my husband's
        family is mostly in Wisconsin but I'm not sure if there are cousins in
        Kansas. His whole family is kind of one big mystery to the both of us and
        the rest of the family, too. :-) Again, thanks for the input.

        Jackie

        <mep@t...> wrote:
        > Hi all, I am curious about this e-mail that was about the Romas. I
        believe
        > they are what we have all been told as Gypsies, correct? What I
        don't
        > understand is the culture involved. Can anyone give me any
        websites or
        > general information of what is going on? I know little about the
        culture in
        > the Czech Republic and Slovakia and would appreciate any
        information that
        > could be given or any websites that could offer some insight. I
        figure that
        > any information might be able to help me with tracking down my
        husband's
        > family and the conditions that they lived in during the 1800's
        while they
        > lived in Bohemia. Thanks.
        >
        > Jackie

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Paula
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
          ---I went to school with Kathy & Jodie Kadlec, their parents are
          Gerald and Joann. Gerald died quite some time ago. It's not a
          common name around here. Good luck with your search.